News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

A conudrum with a question

Started by Zapato, 2015-02-15 12:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

Have a chance to buy a 292 with all accessories, cross members,radiator,mounts, tranny etc... out of a '66 f100 for $300- . Runs great, no smoke, starts and idles fine, no noises needs a water pump. Its tempting as hell but then have already gathered lots of stuff for a 302 swap. No idea what tranny is behind it now so what modern transmissions are there adaptors made to mate to a y-block ?

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Jeff Norwell

C-4,T-5,Ford Top loader,
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

Who would put a 292 in a 66 F100? Very strange to me  I guess that would be considered reverse engineering  :003: No Y blocks after 64.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

I was just wondering too.
btw I'd love to put a hopped up Model B 4 banger in a 1957 Chevy, or maybe a flathead V8 in a second series Camaro. that'd be nice to have when the LS and 350 guys wonna look under the hood.... :003: we should put a turboed 223 inline 6 in a Corvette Z6  :002:

concerning the 302vs292.
I have had a 302 in the delivery and a 351W in the Delrio. make great reliable drivetrains on good milage, cheap spare parts, everythings in stock, but...well...just not the sound and looks of a Y block. I am building a nice 292 to replace the 351 in my DelRio. I'd get that 292, especially if it's reasonably priced.
I have bought a trans adapter for AOD/Y-block from Bendtsen Speed Gems. very nice engineering and good fit. includes everything you need, flywheel adapter, bolts and mini starter

Zapato

oops, must have been a fat finger or senior moment its a 64 not a 66.

Zapato

lalessi1

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2015-02-15 15:17
btw I'd love to put a hopped up Model B 4 banger in a 1957 Chevy, or maybe a flathead V8 in a second series Camaro. that'd be nice to have when the LS and 350 guys wonna look under the hood.... :003: we should put a turboed 223 inline 6 in a Corvette Z6  :002:

concerning the 302vs292.
I have had a 302 in the delivery and a 351W in the Delrio. make great reliable drivetrains on good milage, cheap spare parts, everythings in stock, but...well...just not the sound and looks of a Y block. I am building a nice 292 to replace the 351 in my DelRio. I'd get that 292, especially if it's reasonably priced.
I have bought a trans adapter for AOD/Y-block from Bendtsen Speed Gems. very nice engineering and good fit. includes everything you need, flywheel adapter, bolts and mini starter

Guenter, man I love the way you think!!!!
Lynn

hiball3985

A 64 Y is probably the lowest HP Y ever made. Low compression, small valves. It would be fine for a driver. I think any running Y is worth at least $300. The truck bell housing is different and won't work in a car application. People have put T5's behind Y blocks but I don't think it's a cheap conversion to do.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 imposter

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-02-15 17:33
Guenter, man I love the way you think!!!!
I know a guy who has put a 4.6 cobra engine with a six speed in an absolutely perfect 1956 210 2dr post. he has had it over to our big annual show twice and the reaction from the GM crowd is with the with the price of admission.  I asked one of them "Why all the hysteria? when you consider the number of gm's in fords?" He looked at me like it was a dumb question. go figure.

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2015-02-15 15:17

Guenter
    I knew right in the beginning that you are OK.  It's music to my ears.   That's something I always talked about doing. The problem was that I always ended up putting the nice engine into a Ford.   Jay

SkylinerRon

X2 on the 292.  302 has no advantage over the 292 for a driver.
The deeper truck bell will work with the longer input small block toploader if the bolt pattern is correct.
$300 is a steal. Just put on ECZ-G heads.
On anything that old it may not be a 64 engine. Check all the #'s you may be happily suprised!
Goodluck,
Ron.

Ecode70D

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2015-02-16 00:31

$300 is a steal. Just put on ECZ-G heads.
On anything that old it may not be a 64 engine. Check all the #'s you may be happily suprised!
Goodluck,
Ron.

Listen to what  Ron just said.  After all these years, you would be surprised at what some early hot rodders did.  FWIW   I also agree that it is a good deal.

Zapato

currently has a truck tranny but has a 3sp top loader in good shape that he's throwing in.

Zapato

djfordmanjack

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2015-02-15 21:39
    Guenter
    I knew right in the beginning that you are OK.  It's music to my ears.   That's something I always talked about doing. The problem was that I always ended up putting the nice engine into a Ford.   Jay

Jay, you are right, would be a shame to waste a good engine in one of those heaps. But, I'm itching. how many times have we been bothered by the bowtie crowd about their holy grail of 350 cui....they put it in Fords, Mercurys, even Lincolns I've seen. I have seen several 57 wagons in the classifieds with Mouse engines and there even was a feature story in R&C a few years ago with a 350 in a 57 Del Rio .....now, that is too much.
I can't find the pic, but there was a late model car with a hopped up flathead at Bonneville some yrs ago. either a 2nd generation Nova or a Barracuda or something like that.
You know that I am guilty for cherishing 1 or 2 years of the other brand, 55 and 65 namely, but I promise, if I ever sin again in getting one of those, I'll put in a Flathead or Y block. :003: it would be such a relief.
what a shame about the engine, but imagine an F code 312 in an original triple black 57 FI Corvette....just beautiful ! :003:
I think the E code should go in a J2 Olds... we'll put a mild 272 or a 239 in a 59 Cadillac Biarritz... the 255 Mercury flattie will go in a '65 Buick Riviera and I think there should be a 427SOHC in a 69 Pontiac GTO. donating one of my hopped up Volkswagen engines for a Corvair....I could go on and on, and on ...  :003:
sorry for ruining your topic, Zap.

Zapato

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2015-02-16 16:43
sorry for ruining your topic, Zap.

No problem DJ, just got done sending a message and if he still has it the 292 will be mine. Been debating myself for a couple days and a 292 my 57 once had and a 292 is just what it deserves. Also found and bought yesterday some power steering parts off a truly off topic vehicle that will try to make work, and if they don't its ok they came by at really reasonable price.

Do want to find a set of exhaust manifolds that don't crossover in front. And a factory 4 bbl manifold would also be nice. Have a birthday coming up so will keep my wife informed of any leads.

And at some point , heck why wait , will be asking for advise on a mild street cam.

Zapato

Zapato

Checked my phone and found that I had Mike's phone number, called him and now its mine. Good day in Zapatoville.

Zap- :unitedstates:  :blob9:

almost forgot the 3sp came out of a 64 289 falcon, like I said good day here.
Zapato