Disc Brake Kits,Dropped Spindle Kits, Rack and Pinion Kits-I'd like your opinion

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-02-20 10:00

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

As I begin to build my '57 Ranchero, I'm planning on installing Dropped Spindles (2 1/2" ? ), Disc Brakes, Front for sure, Back....(just depends on how much cash is left) and Rack and Pinion Steering. I'm new to'57 Fords, so I look to the Forum members to guide my parts selection. What have you used? Are there "Kits" that you recommend, or do not recommend and  WHY, to both the Pro and the Con on these parts or Kits.
I've always received great responses to anything I've asked on this Forum, and no doubt this will be no different.........so I thank you all in advance.
John

lalessi1

My Custom had late model Gran Torino spindles and disc brakes on it when I bought it so I have not installed the items you are asking about. There is a small company in Cali that specializes in dropped spindles and disc brake conversions for Fords and I have spoken the owner on several occasions with issues that he politely helped me resolve with no profit to him. As I believe service, accessability and knowledge are key to successful modifications, I would start with http://www.dropnstop.com/ . Maybe some one has used this company?

Lynn

BWhitmore

I also used DropnStop, located in Los Angeles.  Very knowledgeable and very supportive and great products.  He actually offered (at no charge) to drive to my house (a distance of 20+miles) to help resolve a problem that I created.

RICH MUISE

Drop n Stop is top notch service and help all the way, it just doen't get any better.
As far as rack and pinion, ST Fabrications is the way to go. Wurthit has passed on, and was quite a bit more money anyways. Reports on another company that was making the R & P kits (their name escapes me) was the kit was so bad it didin't even look like it was made for our '57's. I'd be surprised if it's still available. So, bottom line on the R & P kits is the last one standing was the best way to go anyways. I talked to Sparky a few weeks back and told him we were not able to log on to his website, don't know if he got it fixed, but his phone number should be in his listing on our links list.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BBoswell

My Ranchero has the set-up you are talking about. It has 2 1/2" dropped spindles and disk brakes that were a kit put on the car before I bought it. It's a kit the previous owner purchased somewhere in California so I would bet it's probably the DropNStop kit. My R&P was a Wurth-it conversion who Rich mentioned has passed on. Everyone seems to like ST Fabrications kit so that is probably the way to go today. My Ranchero may be a tad too low in the front for some folks but drives and handles like a dream.

Ford Blue blood

I'm not a lover of the rack and pinion.  Borgeson sells a complete power steering box kit that is a bolt in.  The kit include the pump, hoses, pitman arm and brackets to mount the pump.  It keeps the same turning radius as stock and is a new box.  Both set kits require modification of the steering column, the rack uses a minimum of three u-joints, the Borgeson can be hooked to the column with a coupler.  I did install a rack kit into a 50 Chevy with a small block.  Worked well, just was a real PITA to get plumbed and it really reduced the turning radius of the car. 

Now having said that, a box from 58 - 64 will bolt into the 57 and steer much easier as they are all ball and sector rather then the worm set up the 57 box has.  Get the pitman arm with the box.  I have a 64 box and pitman arm with a rag joint for my Ranchero, using a 62 T-Bird column.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

i have put a borgeson set up on mine.with the granada type spindles i am running,the turning radius is less than stock.also the spindles will lower the car some.i used a coupler to hook to the stock column.that also leaves the shifter in almost the stock position[see my post on this]

dgasman

I can not respond about the rack pinion but as far as steering boxes I can say the Borgeson boxes are the best thing on the market now . I have made and sold a 605 gm box conversion kit , and I still have the the prototype box on my 58 ranchero . I  have been on a quest for the perfect ps box for the 57  thu 59 ford for years . I have used 65 Tbird boxes , ford truck ps boxes and mid 60 ford boxes ( non ps box)  on my 57 wagon , lots of spare  parts in the rafters with columns . I was looking at rack pinion systems for a while but never tried it. I used to do  work with Dick from drop and stop ( he was the fist owner ) I have the Granada disc on my 58 and I think they are a great system, the wagon now has 71 ltd complet brake system with a mustang hydro boost . This stops on a dime and gives 9 cents change . I think if I was to do it all over again I would do the Granada discs with the Borgeson box and the mustang booster(this might be on the ranchero in the future ) this is my option, but that and $1.00 will get you. Cup of coffee
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

KYBlueOval

A big thanks to all here on the Forum.As always the Forum members come through with unvarnished opinions that allow me to make informed decisions and I appreciate it. After the first reply that spoke about Drop and Stop, I called them. I was impressed with what he had and had to say.
I've tried to find ST Fabrication via Google but didn't come up with any contact information.Can someone please supply me with a website address, or 'phone number or physical address.
Thank you
John