News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

update on Rich's build

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-05-07 23:40

Previous topic - Next topic

jvo

Rich, I'm gonna have to go back and analyze your whole build thread.  One post and I have a few good pointers on what to do on mine.  Looks like you have the wipers nailed down pretty good.  Hope mine work out that well.  I still have to modify my wiper pivots like you showed me, but there just isn't enough time in a day, and that can be done down the road a ways yet.
Keep posting and I'll keep reading. Thanks.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

djfordmanjack

Rich, and Jay. That is pretty much how I plan to build the drain, except for I will be using plastic tubing. It is a great idea to get rid of the rust problem in the lower front fenders.

RICH MUISE

DJ..I would have used plastic, but I needed something to fit inside the rubber fitting, and the plastic stuff I found had very thick walls, so I opted for the thin wall copper. In hindsight, I could have kept costs and weight down by getting a 1 x 1/2 90* elbow and just used 1/2" pipe for the downspout.
JVO.....5240 posts..LOL,...you've got alot of reading to catch up on, and in the process you'll find out how little I knew when (and still) I started posting here. Couldn't have got where I'm at on the build without these guys. I don't really have a build thread as such, just alot of individuals, but thanks. Closest to a build thread I've got is the 4.6 being installed now thread.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Anybody have any good tips on how to find the oem mounting holes for windshield inside garnish rails after you've put in a new headliner any covered up the holes??

Ford Blue blood

Rich put the side moulding in place and set the sun visor loosely in place.  Slide the drivers side (or the pasenger side) piece in place.  I used the smallest phillips head to poke around through the screw hole to find the first hole and the rest were easy after that.

On my 65 Bird the back window gave me fits.  Ended up having to drill two noew holes as I could not find the originals.

Good luck, Bill
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57redwhitered

I have used an ice pick or an awl to locate holes for garnish mouldings
1957 Skyliner

Acrylic man

Rich,   Been off the site awhile....   Man your doing some good work, it's looking good.  Your going to have really nice piece of work.
Larry
1957 Fairlane 500 Club Victoria 2dr HT

RICH MUISE

Thanks Larry....I noticed you hadn't been here for 5 or 6 days...was ready to check on you. Thanks for the compliments..always appreciated.
BTW, I did a post on the Ford Blue oval you gave me in case you hadn't seen it..."How Cool is This". Hope it was ok to do that. Also did one on the Hamb's 52-59 social forumn I belong to.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/how-cool-is-this.974578/

57 imposter

rich...is your windshield new? if so who did you get it from. the reason I'm asking is that I had very bad luck with a windshield from classic city auto glass when I got one for my 61 pickup. I am really looking for another supplier but it looks like everyone seems to get their classic glass from the same source. kinda like carpenter rubber. By the way where did you come up with
the process for making your kick panels? very cleaver and if it's not a trade secret, could you kind of walk thru the process including the materials you use for the framework. your whole interior really looks professionally done.

RICH MUISE

The new glass was from auto city classic, and it fit like a glove. I'm very happy with it.
I've got a ball game starting in a little while, but I think I can get some build info on the panel posted. Can't remember where I came up with this idea, probably a little info from the 'net and some of my own concoctions(sp?). This was similar to how I built the two panels next to the back seats.
Some pics first, I think most of them are self explanatory. The white template I'm using was made for the passenger side, just reversed for the driver's side. That passenger side finished panel is just flat plywood coverd with foam and vinyl. (Jeff......notice the template is Canson board, lol, only the best for my car)

RICH MUISE

next four...Hardware cloth (chicken wire, ?)was wired to the steel frame, then fleece was sprayglued to that. Next was some heavy coats of spray rubber on the inside. let set overnight then por-15'd the outside surface really soaking into/ the fleece. This is adding rigidity, and also adheres averything together, because when I cleaned up the edges and backside, I ground the holding wires off so the backside periphery was nice and clean. The inside rubber spray won't soak thru the fleece, but after it set up a while, will stop the por-15 from just dripping on thru and making a huge mess. I let everything set for 2 or 3 days as I put pretty much everything on in one thick coat rather than building up thin coats. It actually took about 4 days for the rubber to set up completly, but the weather was cool. The rubber"shield" was wanted also because of all the wiring behind the panel. After everything set up I also quickly hit the por-15 with a 2" disc to smooth it out somewhat. That was followed with 1/4"foam(headliner actually), then the vinyl. Weldwood contact adhesive for Landau tops was used.
I did run out of por-15 before finishing, btw,so I used por patch (tube in photo) to finish it up.

RICH MUISE

and some more...
The framework was what I had laying around...1/8 x 3/4 and 1/4" round.
Time to watch my team get their butts kicked again.

lalessi1

Very clever idea. Looks great!
Lynn

KYBlueOval

Rich...........very nice sir. Keep posting please, as I learn something new every time you do.
B.T.W. it was nice to meet you at the Pace Swap Meet, and put a name with a face.
John

RICH MUISE

I'm working on the windshield garnifh mouldings and I don't think I'm missing anything, but thought I'd ask...is there a mesh screen that goes behind the lower mouldings around the defrost ducts?  I got to thinking about it because I didn't realize how highly visable it is, and I could have been a little neater back there. I may attempt to make a screen and paint it black like the outside cowl vent.