News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FRENCHED HEADLIGHTS

Started by shopratwoody, 2006-12-28 10:48

Previous topic - Next topic

shopratwoody

Abe Lugo,
Could you post your article on 57 Headlights on this site pls. Maybe a little more detailed. I have to get the rings yet.
Do they screw on top and bottom?  :laughing7:
Thanks, Ron  :glasses2:
I hate blocksanding!

shopratwoody

I'm in the process of doing my now. Bought new rings from Blue Oval (Vintique) It'll be done in a couple days.
The post is by Abe Lugo at jolopyjournal.com as Spareparts mentioned. :033:
I hate blocksanding!

shopratwoody

A couple of minor adjustments left and they're done.

:downtown:
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

meteor

Hi Ron, I have the Abe Lugo step-by-step from the HAMB for this process as well as the 56 rings and my body guy is just starting the work. The body of my Ranchero is obviously on hold until I figure out what I can find but he's moving ahead with some of the smaller projects. I really wish I could weld...

Questions: how did you handle the spacing of the gap between the opening (in the fender) and headlight bucket itself? and how did you seal it properly? did you take any photos as you went along? and what type of headlight did you use, I'm thinking of running the HID lights?

What you've done looks great, sorry for all the questions.

thanks, Matt.
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

RAWms

Looking good!!!   Frenching the headlights needs to be done before painting, correct?   r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

57 Ford Kustom

Roger   I would do it anyway think how much weight you will save by getting rid of the pot metal h/l doors!!! :041: and replaceing them with stainless steel, plus the benny of your h/l buckets setting back in the fenders putting more weight on to the rear of the car. :blob7: got to make up for the added weight of the power seat moters :023:

T 8)M   :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

shopratwoody

Yeh Roger
I agree with Tom.  :icon_jook: Anybody can restore one, takes a man to cut one up. :bsmeter:
You could do it after paint,CAFEFULLY. Just use a little masking tape to protect paint in case you slip.Bend tabs back
gently so paint does't crack. Not a big deal really.

Matt, basically follow the HAMB thing.I do have pictures, I lose my reply everytime I go to post pictures. I'm not much
on the computer. Never touched one till I was already over the hill... :grandpaSimpson:
I hate blocksanding!

shopratwoody

Matt, It's a lot more time consuming than the Abe Lugo article lets on. Getting everything perfectly centered etc
isn't quite as easy as throw'n it together as said in the article. Maybe I just like my stuff a little nicer that he did.  :bootyshake: At least it's a start. I wouldn't be paying a "Body Guy" to do mine after being screwed by every
"Body Guy" I've ever used. :icon_jook:
Good Luck, Ron :glasses2:
I hate blocksanding!

meteor

Yeah, the article seemed to be one of those easier-said-than-done things. Personally, I didn't like the 'L' brackets, seemed too mickey mouse. I spent some time with my 'body guy' and we brain-stormed some ideas and worked something out. Mind you, my fenders are bare, not even on the car and we're working with a replacement headlight panel that hasn't been welded into the fender yet.

We did some testing on the bad panel that was cut out, made and bent the tabs etc. but we're going to weld a collar onto the headlight bucket and then weld that in behind the opening. The bucket will now be part of the fender essentially but we'll of course make the assembly accessible from the front for adjusting, replacement etc.

I'm kind of lucky that my 'body guy' is a friend of my Dad.
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

shopratwoody

Matt
I'm glad to see yoo're improving the method. I welded in the L brackets on mine and trying to figure out how to seal
from the backside. Prolly some caulking,like what they role into rain gutters  :dontknow:
later, Ron
I hate blocksanding!

abe_lugo

Sorry I didn't see this,
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197

also note some people use the 534-55 rings to just shorten the look of the headlight rings.

When I did this I was younger and dumb, Yeah wendling in or making a better L bracket is key.

Also yes it not as quick as it seems, but not everything actually is.

I now have 1957 chrysler 300c lights in place, I feel I should have left the single headlights.
I have to finish them up soon enough.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

abe_lugo

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008