News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rack and Pinion Tie Rods

Started by wighty, 2015-05-18 19:38

Previous topic - Next topic

wighty

Does anyone know where Rick Wurth got the Steel Tie Rods that he sold with his 57 Ford Rack and Pinion Steering Conversion?  I need to replace one of mine.

Greaserchief

Tell me how to get hold of this guy regarding rack and pinion

Ford Blue blood

Rick Worth has passed I believe.  There are several folks here that have put the racks (his and others) in their cars and have in-depth knowledge of the components and installation process.

I do not as I am a Borgeson person.......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Wirenut

Rick Worth is no longer in business selling the racks. I used a system similar to his but built it myself. I had a local machine shop turn the rods I needed and threaded them myself. Summit racing sell various tie rods, I bought some from them but decided to make my own out of harder steel rod. Try Summitt, you'll need to know the lengths, thread size, etc.
Welcome to the site, I look forward to photos of your build.

gasman826

swedged rods with ES351 outer tie rod ends on Granada style spindles...heims joints as inner tie rod ends.  Most auto parts suppliers have swedge rods.  Speedway Motors has a good selection.

RICH MUISE

Lots of good info, guys, but I believe you answered Wighty's question from 6 years ago. Our new member, greaserchief, I suspect, is wondering how to get ahold of a rack and pinion setup? If that is the case, we are getting our rack kits from a guy who is the brother-in-law of the former moderator on this forum. His name is John Starks (Sparky), S & T Fabrications 815 742-6365. He makes a great kit, very similar to what Wurthit was making, less $. I have his kit in my car. His contact info is in our list of suppliers.
If you are considering a R & P conversion, you may want to consider the mentioned Borgenson steering box. Either is a great upgrade to the oem steering, but the Borgenson box does not take away from the turning radius as the r & P does.
BTW, greaserchief, check out the post for free parts in the `57 Ford Parts and Service Supplier Links board. I mention this because I believe the guy giving the stuff away is in Los Cruces. Hugh/ Mustang6984 will know, and Hugh may be going right thru your town on his way home with the stuff.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Greaserchief

This is great info thanks guys.

Rancher

A bit off topic...

I've been walking the U-Pick yards looking over what's in the steering components pipeline now. Of course the latest gears aren't represented nor are some older pieces.

What looks interesting and possibly like a simple and clean install are electric R&P gears.
I have a suspicion, but don't know for sure, that with OE  arrangement boost level may be  tied to vehicle speed.

Most of the electric R&Ps are extremely compact except for the area where the power motor is located. That's where the bulk is. May create an issue with exhaust clearance?

Another observation I've made is that OE engineering no longer seems so concerned about column-to-gear angle.
Some input shaft angles are approaching 90 degrees!
Some use a single constant velocity joint operating at an extreme angle.

Maybe I should drag this reply off to some other steering topic?

gasman826

yep, 90 degrees

RICH MUISE

I don't recall too many discussions here about electric steering conversions, but there have been some on the Hamb's 52-59 Ford social club. If I remember correctly, the guys were talking units from a Volvo. I didn't pay much attention to the discussions, but I'm pretty sure they were looking at them from a use with steering boxes, not R & P. I wasn't aware they even had electric R & P.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

R&P or box.  Electric assist goes on the upper steering shaft.  Most OEMs are inside the car under the dash.  The aftermarket is offering kits.  I can't run hydraulic power steering on the '41 so I've been reading up on electric assist alternatives.

Rancher

Just to clarify, yes, there's the in-column under-dash electric booster. That could assist a column turning either R&P or traditional steering gear.

Also there exists electric-boosted R&P.
The column is "dumb" so to speak.
All of the assist is generated within the R&P, electrically.

The latter seems slick because the column, under-dash, and old manual gear (discarded) wouldn't have to withstand increased input torque.