News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Battery tray?

Started by Limey57, 2015-05-29 13:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Is it re-manufactured by anyone?  EMS appear to make the inner fender where the tray is bolted to, but I can't find the tray itself.  I know it isn't difficult to make but I'm trying to save some time and mine is so bad it's hard to tell what size it should be.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

www.classicautoparts.com. Also...concourse has two listed with different pricing, I think the difference being the more expensive one also has the the hold-down hardware, but I'm not positive on that...just the only thing that made sense to me.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

VwDrvFnd

Got mine from concourse parts, couldn't ask for a better fit. Bolted right in even with a rust hole in the inner fender where the center bolt use to be.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

RICH MUISE

The one I had I got from Classic Auto in OK city. I suspect probably the same manufacturer as the one Concorse sells. It also fit very well. I had it mounted on the fender well for a few years sitting in the back room, but after I went with my engine choice, it wouldn't fit anymore as the engine valve cover was hitting it.....not a problem of the battery tray, just an engine too big. I just sold it a few months ago to Acrylic Man.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Limey57

Thanks everyone, I almost ordered one from Concours but the US postal charges to overseas has gone crazy for some reason, the shipping was as much as the battery tray kit (tray plus hold down clamp) so I'm going to fabricate my own using the Concours picture.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

hiball3985

Gary, I don't know what is available as far as battery size on your side of the pond. Not many people here have the right size to fit the stock tray. I forget if it's a group 27 or 29. I got mine from Interstate..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

29, still available.  Called an industreal battery?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Limey57

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-05-31 18:25
Gary, I don't know what is available as far as battery size on your side of the pond. Not many people here have the right size to fit the stock tray. I forget if it's a group 27 or 29. I got mine from Interstate..

Thanks, that was kind of bugging me as the remains of the original battery tray looked kinda narrow for a "standard" battery.  There are all sorts available over here for racing etc (including small gel-filled ones) so I'll cool off the tray until I've done some battery research.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

oldave57

The battery tray in my 57 Fairlane 500 is the original tray and the battery that I currently have in the car is a Duralast (sold by Autozone).  It is the Duralast # 24DLG and fits very well in the original battery tray.  The hold down is not original (it is a generic style of hold down that also works very well).  The battery has 750 CCA and has plenty of cranking power for the car.  I've had the battery in the car since November, 2009 so it has held up well considering that the car sits for at least 4 months each winter without any use.  It is one option you might consider if available.
Regards,
Dave

suede57ford

The lip can be folded flat on the original tray to hold a newer style battery. Some reshaping and add another lip and then you can you either new style or original in the same tray.   

I made some of the top battery hold down clamps out of the repo battery holder.  I make them wider and shorter to match a new style battery.   Always check the location of the battery posts, to make sure they are not to close to the top of the hold down clamps.

I have also used a repo tray from a 67-70 mustang in combination with the original tray to make a nice modern battery holder.   I grind the spot welds to remove the mustang style brackets. I then use the brackets from the '57 tray and weld them to the repo mustang tray, and then it hold the battery very nice.

I always try to find a black battery.   

I always pull all the stickers off so they don't draw attention to the battery.  You can stick the stickers on the bottom of the battery if you need to save them for warrantee,  or put them in a zip lock  bag and store them with the battery receipt.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

hiball3985

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2015-05-31 22:36
29, still available.  Called an industreal battery?
I've seen them listed as Farm equipment and truck but I just couldn't find one locally in stock except for the Interstate that has a distribution warehouse close by..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

There are 2 battery trays for 57's. The standard was for group 29 batterys.
A/C cars and the H-D battery option was a group 27 and it's tray is 1/2" wider on the long side.
Both batterys are still available, even at walmart. A group 24F will work also.

Ron.

Ford Blue blood

Put a group 29 in the Edsel.  NAPA had it on the shelf.  Used a stock 57/58 Ford replacement tray from Carpenter, cut off the support arm from the original Edsel tray (inner fender has a different shape on it's upper half) and welded it to the tray.  The lower is stock and was a perfect fit.  The support had slotted holes so it bolted in place as well.  The hold down clamp and bolts are standard 57/58 Ford Carpenter items as well.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

Nice looking Edsel, Bill..you do good work.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

Not to send this thread off on a tangent but did anyone else notice the hood hinges on Bill's Edsel ? Please post a couple of pictures showing us more of them

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72