News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

One Piece Dash Plate

Started by lalessi1, 2015-06-13 15:50

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I saw an interesting one piece dash plate on eBay so I bought it. It replaces all  3 separate dash plates on the heater controls/radio/clock. I never had seen one before and didn't know there was such a thing. It is a Ford part with an "FEG" part number and the serrated pattern is horizontal instead of vertical. Does anyone know anything about this part?
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Only that someone here a few months back posted a pic of theirs.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

When cars were factory ordered with clock, radio, deluxe heater or air conditioning the one piece was used.
Otherwise the three pieces were mix and match.
I have heard there was a one piece available with the Town&Country radio also but, I have never seen one.
Of course the three pieces could be used if there was a shortage of the one pieces also.

Ron.

lowrider

Had one on my 57. Changed it to a 3 piece set-up because someone hacked the radio opening on it.

OUTLAW

Sounds like a 58 dash part, because of the pattern........and maybe flat on either end......

Contibob

The story I heard was the one piece was early issue. Ford found it more difficult to work with when having to work on individual components, so they went to the three separate trim pieces. I have two cars with the one piece, both have the T&C Radio.

SkylinerRon

One of my 57 Skyliners has the one piece and it was built mid April 57 over halfway thru the model year.
I've owned it since 1965 so I don't think it has been changed.
There was no disadvantage on the assembly line. Only one I know of was if a dealer wanted to install a
T&C radio in place of the standard AM.

Ron.

lalessi1

I just got the one piece face plate. There are cut out recesses on backside for the town and country radio, that can be easily punched out. It looks like radio has to be installed after the face plate because you can't get to the clock nuts on the backside with the radio in.
Lynn

SkylinerRon

Good to know, haven't seen one out of the car before.
Maybe i'll have my one piece rechromed for my best Skyliner.
Thanks,
Ron.

lalessi1

Ron, here is the backside of the face plate. An interesting point...there are two part numbers on the piece and one is on the upper cut out.... FEG-15579-A. the other number above the radio volume knob hole... FEG-15579-B.
Lynn

SkylinerRon

The FEG-15579 numbers are engineering #'s.  Makes sense there are two as there are two different part #'s in the MPC.
B7A-18549-B for T&C Radios and
B7A-18549-C for Pushbutton Radios.
Wonder at what point the factory punched some of them out? I would think it would be before the chrome plating.
Once punched the -A would be gone and -B would be the only # left for ID. purposes.
Ah the mysteries of 58 year old cars....

Ron.