News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tubular Control Arms.

Started by 57tudor, 2015-06-23 19:34

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Lynn, I'm always interested in alignment options. How much camber are you trying to achieve and why? I'm running mine at -2 camber and +2 caster.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Up to 2 degrees negative is what I am thinking. I don't think I can get there, my car has noticable positive camber now (maybe it is the Torino spindles on my car). Negative camber helps keep the the outside wheel/tire more upright in a hard turn improving cornering traction. Positive caster does that also, so I will try to get as much of that as I can.
Lynn

hiball3985

OK, maybe it is the Torino spindles. I have also found with radial tires I'm using more toe in 1/8 to 5/16, maybe the side wall flex being different compared to a bias tire?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57tudor

Hi Guys,

I also have the same issues with the Torino spindles, 72 Grand Torino Sport. So I'm going back with my original spindles, Wilwood brake kit, and tubular control arms. I can't wait to see how the alignment turns out when the time comes. As a note, I'm installing Borgeson Power Steering and they recommend the caster be set between 3.5 to 4 degrees positive to increase stability and road feel. We shall see when that time comes also.

Rick,
57Tudor.
:unitedstates:

hiball3985

I'm sure 3-4 degrees will be fine with power steering. I keep mine at 2, just a manual 58 box.
Mine seems stable and tracks great up to 90 MPH, I haven't had an opportunity to push it higher.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57tudor

Hi Guys,

My order from Fatman's came in yesterday and as promised I have posted some pic's of the kit. Looks great. First thing is to clean them and get them painted. The lower arms have a mounting bracket on them for the 60-64 style sway bar and that this sway bar attaches to the under side of the chassis. I like this idea a lot better then the aftermarket kits that stick out like a sore thumb and the only way to kinda hide them is to paint them black. As I begin this phase of my upgrades during my off season form the shows, I will post pic's of my progress.

Happy Holidays

Rick,

lalessi1

Rick, look at my latest post in "Aftermarket sway bars"... I have been trying to get the kind you are talking about to fit, no luck. Perhaps your control arms ( they are awesome BTW) will help.I might be able to help you out with that issue.
Lynn

57tudor

lalessi1,

Funny thing, right after I posted my update I ran across your thread and read completely through it. I plan to do my home work before pulling the trigger on the sway bar. I need to know what the measurement is from end to end measuring from the center of each round hole at the end of the bar. I will be measuring my mounts after I get the lower arms in and see what the difference is. I plan to contact Farman Fabrications as well

Thanks,

Rick.

lalessi1

When you get to that point, let me know and I will measure what I have. I may play with what I have a little more since I have a "bare" frame now. There are other pics available, I have a bunch, some are on the forum in another thread, some not.
Lynn

lalessi1

I looked a little closer at my Quickor swaybar, I put it back on the car and moved it forward  1 1/4". It clears the frame but it hits on the control arm a little. Your control arms offer a HUGE amount of clearance where the interference is....
Lynn

57tudor

Lynn,

Hope you received my email with pic's sent to you the other day. Just got a note from Fatman's, they do not offer a sway bar kit, they only offer generic instructions on how to install the thing on a mustang II. Summit Racing has a sway bar kit to fit the 60-64 Fords, 1" diameter with all the parts. I believe it was the Quickor web site that I was on the other day and they show two different part numbers for these sway bars, one for the Galaxies and one for the Fairlane. I'm wondering if there is any difference in the two cars!

Rick,

57tudor

Hi Guys,

For those following this project on mine, here are some pic's of its progress.

Rick,

lalessi1

Rick,
I didn't see the email, I may have accidentally deleted it. Glen at Quickor told me the 59 frame is narrower than the later frames. I am almost positive the Quickor bar I have will work with the Fatman lower spindles. The Summit bars are probably made by a company called ADDCO. They make a bar for '57s that fits like the original bar. They don't make a bar for a '59. I have other pictures I can send you on the Quickor bar. If you want to try to use it we can work something out.

Lynn

57tudor

Lynn,

I resent the mail. I forgot to mention, I measured the sway bar mounts on the control arms with everything in the unloaded position. Center to center of the holes is 45"

Rick,

lalessi1

Quote from: 57tudor on 2015-12-07 19:54
Lynn,

I resent the mail. I forgot to mention, I measured the sway bar mounts on the control arms with everything in the unloaded position. Center to center of the holes is 45"

Rick,

Rick,

I still didnt get an email or a PM. I measured the stock '59 and the Quickor bar. They are both 45 1/2" ish. Check my profile my email is correctly listed.
Lynn