News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Idler Arm Question

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-07-06 03:47

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

As I collect parts to rebuild the steering and suspension , I've been told I should find an idler arm with bearings as opposed to bushings. Is there an idler arm with bearings ?
Who makes such an idler arm? Where do I find one?
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

John....Don't know the answer to that question because I never had to look for them...brings up an  advantage in the Rack vs steering box comparison that wasn't brought up earlier on your other post. The rack replaces all that stuff.
Maybe Concorse or Rare Parts.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

petew

There was a kit made to replace the bushing with a bearing on the idler arm. My guess is that it was an aftermarket item available through auto parts stores. My Country Sedan had the bearing kit on it when I got it. I replaced it with a standard bushing and noticed no difference in steering.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-07-06 07:44
John....Don't know the answer to that question because I never had to look for them...brings up an  advantage in the Rack vs steering box comparison that wasn't brought up earlier on your other post. The rack replaces all that stuff.
Maybe Concorse or Rare Parts.
Thanks Rich. Please tell me again the name, ( phone number, if you have it ) of the guy that has the R&P kit. I think I recall he is in the Chicago area, or in that part of the country.
Thanks
John

BBoswell

I agree with Rich. The rack and pinion is a lot less hassle, parts are easy to find and you don't have the major clearance problems. I have R&P on both my 57's and would never change back. The only negative I can think of is that there are a lot less turns lock to lock which makes the steering much more positive . . . but once you've driven it for a few miles you don't even notice.

RICH MUISE

John...here's the last info I have. His website is not coming up...hasn't for over a year, but I can't get anybody to respond to whether or not he has another website.
S & T Fabrications
John "Sparky" Starks
12752 Annapolis Rd.
Rockton, Ill 61072
cell: 815 742 6365
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

Trw/Moog  made the ball bearing idler.
When new it made the steering more precise and easier.
Popular in the 50's&60's.

Ron.

KYBlueOval

Thanks...........Rich and Ron.