News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

What's the safe way to drop a rear end??

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-09-14 13:46

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

So, I've seen the threads where a guy had his arm broken, etc., so I'm going to ask the guys that have been there done that (dropped out a rear, not broke their arm doing it, lol)...what's the safe proceedure to remove the entire rear end from our cars?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Mavaholic

I've always jacked it up by the frame until the rear tires just barely touch the floor. Then unbolt the leaf spring mounts and rolled it out the back. You can either remove the whole spring with the rear or unbolt the rear from the springs and then just unbolt the rear spring mount and drop them on the floor. Done it both ways wit no problems, especially if your working by yourself.

SkylinerRon

Jackstands under the frame in frt of the springs, bolt on 2 wheels w/o tires, jack under 3rd member,
drop rear shackles, lower and remove jack, remove frt spring bolts and roll it out the back.

Goodluck,

Ron.

RICH MUISE

sounds simple...guess I've been overthinking this as usual.
Speaking of the third member, after finding good differential shops in Phoenix, Alburquerque, and s. of Dallas (387 miles from home), I finally got some leads on Amarillo shops that do it, and with good referals. I had been asking around in the wrong crowd! Once I got with the racing loop, I found three that appear to know their stuff. I should have pricing from all three today or tommorrow.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe