News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fuel line replacement

Started by jdwilker, 2015-09-14 14:03

Previous topic - Next topic

jdwilker

I am in the process of breathing life back into a '57 Skyliner that has spent the past 43 years sitting in a barn. As you can imagine, the entire fuel system was encrusted with nasty stuff. I'm replacing everything from the tank to the carb and now I'm looking at the fuel line from tank to pump. Has anyone replaced this and do you have any tips? I know Concours has replacement lines, but it's not clear if they are one piece or two. I'm not sure how you could replace it with a one-piece line. Any advise?

petew

Don't know how the Skyliner is but on the wagons the fuel line crosses over the frame rail from the outside to the inside just ahead of the left rear wheel. I cut mine there and then reassembled it with a compression fitting on the inner side of the frame rail. Compression fitting was fine for my needs since I am still running a carb and there is no pressure in that portion of the line.
My suggestion is to buy the line and lay it on the ground next to the car , it will pretty much tell you where you will need to cut it to get it in. I can take some pictures of how I did it if you like. I also prefer regular steel lines over the stainless as they are much easier to work with.

Pete

clusterbuster

I have never replaced mine, but I thought about it some in case I have to sometime. I too would do it in two pieces and if you route in a safe position and it is secured well, I would route it  where ever it fits best. Of course if it is a show car, then that is a different story. Personally I like to double flare my tubing and use a good  brass connector. Double flare tool kits are cheap and are not hard to use.

RICH MUISE

I used 3/8 NiCopp for the main portion of my fuel lines (i needed a return line also). All the advantages of ss, but much easier to work, although I will say the 3/8 was surprisingly harder to work than I had expected after doing my brake lines with the 3/16 NiCopp. I used 37* AN fittings to connect it to the inline fuel filter and flexible hose engine and tank connections.
Unless your much more patient that I am, it's not going to look like an oem fuel line like you may be able to get from a company like inline tube.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

Try Fine Lines, direct.

Ron.

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: petew on 2015-09-14 15:06
Don't know how the Skyliner is but on the wagons the fuel line crosses over the frame rail from the outside to the inside just ahead of the left rear wheel. I cut mine there and then reassembled it with a compression fitting on the inner side of the frame rail. Compression fitting was fine for my needs since I am still running a carb and there is no pressure in that portion of the line.
My suggestion is to buy the line and lay it on the ground next to the car , it will pretty much tell you where you will need to cut it to get it in. I can take some pictures of how I did it if you like. I also prefer regular steel lines over the stainless as they are much easier to work with.

Pete
I replaced my fuel line on my skyliner and routed it the same way you did.

jdwilker

Good advice all.  Thanks guys, I think I have a plan.