News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Axles splines

Started by Lou, 2015-10-22 11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Lou

Do all Ford 9 inch limited slip differentials use 31 spline axles? I think the unit  is out of a 66 Ford station wagon. I have a bad wheel bearing and have a set of 28 spline axles with new bearings on them I would like to use and save some money.

lalessi1

I am not positive but I think "traction lock" differentials came in both 28 and 31 spline versions. I am pretty sure you can buy either aftermarket. I am in the investigation process so I think this is a great question and I am looking forward to more knowledgeable input at this point as well. 
Lynn

gasman826

Yep, Traction Lok in either 28 or 31 spline format.

pepfalcon

also detroit lockers.

Hoosier Hurricane

To further muddy the waters, most (but not all) 31 spline axles have the large bearing, and some 28 spline axles have the large bearing also.   John

gasman826

Quote from: pepfalcon on 2015-10-22 18:10
also detroit lockers.
Right.  Detroit Lockers began appearing in OEM special applications ('63-'64ish 427 Galaxies maybe others) but nearly all with 31 spline.  After market Detroit Lockers are certainly available in 28 spline and even for 8' rear ends.

Lou

Thank you everyone, so I concluded that I'm pulling the axles and counting the splines. This just became a later winter project, thanks again guys.

SkylinerRon

31 spline axles are larger in diameter than 28's.
28's will spin around inside 31 spline side gears.
The 66 rear may be a 9 3/8" unit.
Goodluck,
Ron.

RICH MUISE

Lou...I think it's posible that even if the axels are the same the bearing could be big or small...so another variant that could bite ya!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

Not sure it would make any difference but depending on if it's Fairlane wagon it could have 8 inch axle.

Galaxie always used 9 inch rear axles.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

SkylinerRon

Some 1966 up big cars and trucks used the odd ball 9 3/8" rear.
Generally big wgns, 428's, limitedslips and F-150's had them.
They were all 31 spline and 3.50 was the highest numerical gear available.
Looks like a 9" externally.
Goodluck,
Ron.