News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

squeeks and rattles

Started by JimNolan, 2008-04-15 10:36

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I've been meaning to tell you guys a trick I found out by accident. Maybe most of you know this but here goes. When I installed the air shocks on the back of my car I found out that if I put 80-100 lbs of air in them it not only rasied the back about two inches ( high side of level ) it took away every squeek and rattle that car had accumulated in 50 years. It doesn't make a sound when you go over a bump. It's like having a new car. I guess it's putting the body in a little bit of a bind, enough to eliminate any free play in the attachment points.
  I haven't figured out if I'm hurting it or not. If anyone has had a bad experience doing this to their car, let me know. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

I've had one bad experience with air shocks, or one of my customers did.  He had a '64 GTO and in an effort to be like all the other cool guys, he wanted to raise his car up the limit.  In the back he used air shocks.  Twice I had to weld the crossmember back into his frame, the shock mounts and their crossmember were'nt designed to carry the entire load of the car.  I know '57 Ford upper shock mounts are fragile, they even used to make a repair kit for when they broke off the crossmember.  The tubular crossmember is plenty strong though.

John

JimNolan

John,
   While I've got you here. Remember my problem with the engine idling too fast. Well, you were right I think. I kicked the four barrel in once getting on the four lane about an hour ago and when I came to the next light it was idling at 1800 rpm. Once the light changed I nailed it to make sure the secondarys were in and at the next light it was idling at 650 rpm. Sooooo, I guess I'll call Holley and find out how to fix my problem. I can't be the only person with a Street Avenger Carb that this has happened to. In the mean time I'll keep my foot out of it. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.