News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Headlights

Started by JimNolan, 2015-12-06 18:39

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

I'm too late, I was going to suggest these. I'm going to use them sometime in the future I think.
http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/C0DZ-13007-A.aspx?wid=141
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

"Also, is the 100/90 bulb too much. I don't want to be that guy that I hate coming at me. But, I don't know what kind of lights those are that I hate coming at me. Jim"

Exactly my thinking. That's why I decided to go low and work up from there. Some of the Big Rigs are getting too bright also....made me wonder if the big trucks have hi/low beams at all since I can't remember ever noticing a big rig's lights changing when approaching.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-12-08 16:58
I'm too late, I was going to suggest these. I'm going to use them sometime in the future I think.
http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/C0DZ-13007-A.aspx?wid=141
I read in more than one place that the size is different and they have a hard time getting them to stay fastened in place. No kidding, I too liked the Ford emblem.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

jvo

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-12-08 18:49
"Also, is the 100/90 bulb too much. I don't want to be that guy that I hate coming at me. But, I don't know what kind of lights those are that I hate coming at me. Jim"

Exactly my thinking. That's why I decided to go low and work up from there. Some of the Big Rigs are getting too bright also....made me wonder if the big trucks have hi/low beams at all since I can't remember ever noticing a big rig's lights changing when approaching.

Last time I was behind the wheel of a big rig was in 1996, ( and I spent way too many years doing it before that) and I used to drive on low beam most of the time because I changed to Sylvania Extra Vision headlights.  They light up both ditches really well so you can see the deer and whatever else is beside the road.  Made a world of difference.  They were better on low beam than on high beam.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

hiball3985

Quote from: JimNolan on 2015-12-08 18:58
I read in more than one place that the size is different and they have a hard time getting them to stay fastened in place. No kidding, I too liked the Ford emblem.
Thats interesting and good to know. I considered these as I know two people who have used them, one early truck and one early mustang and no one said anything about a problem. I'll talk to them again when I see them.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I have to say this as irrelavent as this may be... in the late '60's I bought a pair of aircraft landing lights at the airport (parts store) here. They were 600W 5 3/4"!!! I put them in a '66 Chevelle. They were a "bolt up". I put them in, turned the lights on, (the alternator light came on..duh) and I went up the road in another car to see how bright they were. When I got back back to the Chevelle and an officer was waiting.......... I saw the LIGHT!!!! :003:
Lynn

Zapato

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-12-08 20:59
I have to say this as irrelavent as this may be... in the late '60's I bought a pair of aircraft landing lights at the airport (parts store) here. They were 600W 5 3/4"!!! I put them in a '66 Chevelle. They were a "bolt up". I put them in, turned the lights on, (the alternator light came on..duh) and I went up the road in another car to see how bright they were. When I got back back to the Chevelle and an officer was waiting.......... I saw the LIGHT!!!! :003:

Had to laugh a buddy of  mine used the same setup in a 66 Fairlane  GT, he mounted them in the high beam spot cop got him a couple days later.. Gave him choice of removing them or tow. Not having the right tools he got lug wrench and broke them on the spot.

Zap : :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

SkylinerRon

Tried that trick myself except got a pair of farm tractor housings and
bolted them to my Edsel split bumpers empty bolt holes.
Turned them on and someone a half mile down the road flashed me!
They were scary bright. Took them right off, been in the basement 40yrs now.

Ron.

hiball3985

I went ahead and ordered the Drake lights, arrived today. I just installed one so I can compare it to the original sealed beam, just waiting for dark. It fit like a glove, no installation problem.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Well.... (it's way dark here)... :003:
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-12-14 18:58
Well.... (it's way dark here)... :003:
Then they probably look great at your house  :003: It's getting close to dark, maybe another 20 minutes...
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Just took a spin around the block, what a nice improvement. The new light is a nice white, and much brighter, really shows how yellow and dim the old lights are in comparison. I'm happy..
I wanted to take a picture but the camera battery won't take a charge anymore, it's always something, as soon as I get one thing off the list I add something else..:005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Awesome! (I guess?... now I have something else to have to add to my list.)  :003:
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-12-14 19:33
Awesome! (I guess?... now I have something else to have to add to my list.)  :003:
You mean the never ending list  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I sure wish Scott Drake made more stuff for our vintage Fords. I just checked out the link to the headlights. I think I'll order me a pair before too long just to have them ready when I need them.
I've got to ask....they referenced a "right hand drive headlight" with a -AUS suffix pn also available....make me wonder if it was April 1 when they wrote that....WTH?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe