News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Thunderbird air cleaner measurement

Started by Ecode70D, 2015-12-26 21:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I'm looking for the measurement of a 1957 thunderbird E code air cleaner element.   The one that I have is  17 5/8" OD  ,  15"  ID,  and  top to bottom  2 3/4".  I need one that is thinner like about 1" for my application.   I'm told that the  57 Thunderbird E code air cleaner is thinner than the others.   Thanks Jay     

SkylinerRon

The element you have is 2.88" high, 17.34" OD, 14.79"ID.
There is an element that is 2.12" used in pairs (7.125" outside diameter).
There is no 1" high element listed.
The 2.88 element cleared fine on my 57 w/an all factory 2x4 set-up.
You may be able to find something on a filter interchange crossreference but,
1" is very thin. I can't think of one that might use one that thin offhand.

Goodluck,

Ron.

Ecode70D

Ron
    Thanks for that information.
     It looks like I have to recalculate my measurements.  Maybe I don't need one quite that thin.   I'm using WCFB carburetors and they take up more of the free space between the hood and the stock air cleaner.
    That's my reason for looking for one that is thinner.  They say that GM made a thinner one for one of their applications, but I haven't been able to track it down.
     The person that I got this air cleaner from stated that it had been sitting around for about 40 years.  It's painted white and has no indication of ever having had the typical argent silver color.
Jay

suede57ford

I have both the passenger car and T-Bird filters here.  The T-Bird(similar to the GM one) is much shorter than then passenger car one.   I never thought about the carbs being higher as my T-pots seemed to be the same height as a regular Holly 1850.   The Lincoln t-pots are taller in the bowl area, but still the same base/air cleaner mounting.

Some one on eBay had repos of the original Passenger car filters about 6months ago.   I meant to buy a couple, but I haven't seen them advertised again.

Great score on the Air Filter!   I'm so glad you finally found the correct one, especially with your car being so special as a factory E-Code.  Can't wait to see it when you get the height issue figured out and a coat of Argent on it.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Hoosier Hurricane

Jay:

From the looks of the picture, you have a passenger car air filter on a Bird.  The Bird filter has taller domes for the carbs and a different base plate.  Since you don't have the original carbs, maybe you can find a couple of small aftermarket filters that fit the carbs and still clear the hood.  Do you have the phenolic spacers under the carbs?  Removing them will lower the carbs a half inch, although that may cause vapor lock in hot weather.  Also, some auto parts stores still have paper catalogs with air filter elements listed by size.  Maybe you can find one that will work.

John

hiball3985

Jay, Larrys T Bird has the filter listed, maybe call and see if they can give the dimensions..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: Hoosier Hurricane on 2015-12-29 07:54
Jay:

From the looks of the picture, you have a passenger car air filter on a Bird. 
John 

John.  Sorry if I misled you.   I don't have a have a Tbird.   I have a 57  passenger car with  WCFB  carburetors on it that are possibly for a 1954 Mercury.   That's why I was asking about the Tbird air filter elements because I need to lower the top of the air cleaner a little bit to give me more room under the hood.   Jay   

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-12-29 08:26
Jay, Larrys T Bird has the filter listed, maybe call and see if they can give the dimensions..

Jim
     Thanks for that link.    I got in touch with Larry's T Bird as soon as you sent it to me.   Jay

Hoosier Hurricane

Jay:

My bad.  I didn't look at the picture closely enough.  Sure, that's a '57 passenger car engine compartment.  Sorry.

John

Ecode70D

Quote from: Hoosier Hurricane on 2015-12-30 06:03
Jay:

My bad.  I didn't look at the picture closely enough.  Sure, that's a '57 passenger car engine compartment.  Sorry.John

That's OK John....    I always felt that the 57 Thunderbird is a real cool car.  Jay 

Jeff Norwell

Nice Score Jay!...Happy New Year.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

I never caught the fact the air cleaner was a recent aquisition, so ditto what Jeff said. Stay warm, my friend!!
Pm sent
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Jeff
   Remember I told you that  "The air cleaner I need is somewhere sitting in a garage under someone's workbench buried under a pile of stuff and has been there for a long time."   I think those are my exact words.  Well that's what happened and now I have it.  He knew exactly what he had all those years. ...   Just think about how much stuff for our cars is still out there.  Sometimes it's best to move the stuff along or carefully tag and identify it, because when we cease to be caretakers, most times it gets thrown out. 

Rich
   That's correct   
   I just found it a few weeks ago and it's one of the last major pieces I needed for my car.           

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com