News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

AOD Trans conversion

Started by Custom_Shelby, 2016-01-23 14:16

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Agreed..our oem driveshafts definetly were steel. Aside from being a performance upgrade, sometimes it's a lot simpler and cheaper to go the aluminum route since most of the newer tranny's are going to have an aluminum driveshaft mated with it anyways. A readily available and cheap thing. Not sure if the oem driveshaft front yoke/spline will mate to an AOD.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

Rich,

I am assuming that the yoke will not mate to the AOD, but the place that put the yoke on for me before will likely have what I want on the shelf and for a fair price.  I think they charged me about $100 to replace the yoke and balance the drive shaft, but that was about 6 years ago.

Rich

lalessi1

I am thinking that the yoke may fit ???
Lynn

ROKuberski

I  found what fits an AOD > https://www.actionmachineinc.com/collections/step-2-slip-yokes/transmission-model_aod+transmission-make_ford

And, I still have the yoke that was replaced on my driveshaft years ago, and, I know where it is.  I measured it.  It's almost the same for the AOD, only small difference on I.D..

My measured dimensions are in parentheses.

Spline/Hole Outside Diameter = 1.220  (1.202")
    Spline count... 28  (28)
    Series = 1310
    Lock up style = OUTSIDE Snap Ring   (same)
    Length to center of u-joint... Dimension #1 =  6 inches  (5.25")
    Barrel Diameter... Dimension #2 = 1.500 inches  (1.498")
    Barrel Length... Dimension #3 =  4.250 inches  (4.0")
    U-joint cap diameter... Dimension #4 = 1.062 inches  (1.063")
    U-joint width... Dimension #5 = 3.219 inches  (3.470")

I measured the spline hole diameter (actually, the I.D. of the hole) as 1.202", above it says 1.220" (as the O.D. of the spline shaft.)  That makes it .018" tight (.009" on the radius.  I measured twice at 90 degrees on the dia., it's the same.)  Maybe works?  Of course, this is the old one, the replacement may be slightly different.

Rich

ROKuberski

Well, I've pulled the trigger on this project.  Just ordered the adapter kit and I've made a deal for a guy to sell me an AOD core and rebuild it for me.  He has a new planetary gear assembly and a new valve body that he is including for the rebuild.  And, he will give me a whopping $50 for my Ford-O-Matic.  Not much for the old unit, but I am not a transmission collector, so out it goes.

It seems I read that an Explorer rear transmission mount will work for this project.  Can anyone confirm what year to use for this?

Photos and a video to follow.

Rich

Ford Blue blood

I used the 2000 Explorer 2WD rear transmission mount.  Need to widen the holes in the cross member slightly.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

That's also what I used, just not sure if an AOD is same mounting location as AODE. Mine is actually a 4R70W attached to the 4.6, but I know for sure it's the same mount/case as AODE. As bill said, very slight widening of the holes.
I'm curious with all these improvements you're making, if you're second guessing your decision to pass on that nos 4.6 dohc you had a chance at?

ROKuberski

Rich,

No, I am not second guessing the 4.6 engine.  I am happy with what I have.  My upgrades are mostly having to do with safety and drive-ability.  I don't crave a hotrod or a high HP vintage car.  I have my 2002 C-5 Corvette to scratch that itch. 

The projects that I take on are usually within my abilities.  I view this transmission upgrade project as a relatively easy thing.  I've done my homework and piggybacked on other peoples knowledge too.  I don't feel like rebuilding a transmission myself, mainly because my transmission experience is quite limited and never on an automatic.  I can swap the unit out, mount the adapter and get the drive shaft modified by a local shop and get a new speedo cable from another local shop.  I've even watched several videos on the process.  I've also got some standby labor to hoist the unit onto a steel leg table I have.  I'll get the transmission on the table then lower the car down and slide it into position.  Done it before.  I don't have a transmission jack, but I do have a lift.

You are welcome to come over and supervise.  I'll supply the cold beer.

Blue blood, thanks for the info on the transmission mount.  I'll get one coming.

Rich

RICH MUISE

Supervise, haha........I may want to come over and ask a bunch of questions.
correction..........the tranny mount I used was 2003 Crown Vic. May be the same as the explorer mount Bill suggested, or may be a difference in AOD vs 4R70W.
Mine may have been overkill, but I added a pretty stout right angle piece to the crossmember after cutting and filling in like Bill did in his posted pic. Here's a link to what I did: http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=3750.135  it starts at the bottom of that page. Funny.....note the top post on that page was addressed to you, 7 years ago.
Suggestion..........you won't be able to have the tranny crossmember in place when your figuring if or how much clearance needs to be cut in. I put bolts in the front crossmember holes on the frame and pulled a string tight, then did the same on the crossmember. You probably already had that figured out.

gasman826

OEM speedometer cable will work with the AOD.  The gear might need changing.

PIC:  Since cheap transmission jacks are too short and shop storage space is precious, I ditched the transmission jack and put the jack top on the end of my cherry picker.  Works great, two tools in one for storage.  I made adapters to also use this rig to install and remove 9" pigs.

ROKuberski

Gasman,

I had never considered that the OEM speedometer cable would work.  I've got a small hole in my cable sheath so I will get a new one anyway.  At low speed, the cable jumps around and reads with a 20 MPH swing on the dial.  Once I get up to about 40, it's smooth.

I just paid the down payment for the rebuild of the transmission and it will be ready to pick up on the 26th.   

On thing that I haven't thought too much about is the filler tube.  The unit I bought does not have a filler tube.  And, I don't know if the original would fit anyway.  Is everyone using one of the Lokar kits for this?  If so, which one?  I have not asked if he had a tube, but if an original one will work.  I will see if there is one laying around in the yard.

Also, when I did some research on fluid for the AOD, I saw that Mercon V was specified for at least one of the places I found.  The tranny shop said that Dextron III is perfered.  Any comments on this?

Rich

RICH MUISE

I changed to a Lokar when I replaced my engine last year. Prior to that I used the stock filler/dipstick tube, but what you may run into is the stock tube probably bolted to whatever engine the AOD was attached to, and unlikely to fit the 312 without mods, if at all. The Lokar is a nice unit, just don't follow their installation instructions and you'll be fine. It's flexible, I bolted mine to the firewall. Which one? I'll have to look......I don't remember there being choices.

ROKuberski

Rich,

I know that there are at least choices on length.  I was wondering how you "calibrate" the dipstick so that it reads accurately?

Rich

RICH MUISE

And I think the mentioned firewall mount I used was one of the design/type options. As far as calibrations.....these are made for specific transmisions, so the dipstick is already calibrated. I did compare the oem dipstick to the lokar as far as how far the end of the dipstick protruded past the seat, and they were the same.
The installation instructions tell you to install the seal on to the dipstick housing making sure it is all the way on. Aint gonna happen! the seal is like a tophat shape, thin walled with ribs.......kinda like a ribbed condom, lol. When you try to install it with that seal on the dipstick already as per instructions, the seal want to bunch up and prevent the dipstick from going down all the way and seating. Spent 1/2 hour in an awkward position trying to do this 8 or 10 times. Finally, I pulled the seal off the dipstick and installed it into the tranny's hole for the dipstick. It went in and seated....took 30 seconds! I did pass that info on to Lokar, they said it made sense, they'd check it out to verify and maybe change the installation instructions.