News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

351w motor mounts

Started by rackmaster, 2008-04-24 23:00

Previous topic - Next topic

rackmaster

I'm putting a 1969 351w in my custom 300. I have found only 1 place that sells the mounts for the swap.(gearheadcrusierproducts)
has anyone bought these mounts and how did they work out? I called gearhead today and they said they are a straight bolt in mount no fab work needed. Any other ideas on mounts and where i can get them? Any help would be great, Thanks.

shopratwoody

In the old days :003: just joking, I used to go to the parts house and look for mounts
for Fords. Example: what year car or truck had the option of an FE mtr or Windsor?
A 58 Ford had the FE so that's what I bought to put the 427 in my 57.Mid 70's Ford
pickups had a lot of engine options. Might be worth checking out. Just a thought.
I admit I bought Crites stuff to put the 429 in mine. Whatever it takes!
Good Luck, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

57 Ford Kustom

Like Ron said there are Ford mounts that will work I have done one in a 54 Merc, and my son has one in his 57 Ford . The 57 was the latest one done and that was over 10 yrs ago. Somewhere I have a part number somewhere but can't find it. I believe that they were mid 60's 289 full size can mounts. There have been other post on this subject before try a search on this site.
    Memory tells me that RAWms used gearhead mounts but he is no longer with us ( went to the big Ford garage in the sky). I know that a spacer was needed between the mount and block about 1" to get oil pan clearence.

Good Luck
Tom  :unitedstates:  :burnout:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

bagboy

My 57 has a 351,I used stock mts,spaced down to clear.I also bought from GEARHEADS,never again!

rackmaster

what was the problem with gearhead products? I would like to know before dealing with them. Thank you.

bagboy

Poor customer service/defective product[steering gear]/see; 57ford/gm605/wanders bad  Hottrodder bulitin board or go to 'THEIR PAGE' and check out all the sites.Oh yea,they GOD BLESS YOU THRU THE PROCESS. $1196.00 DOWN THE TUBE!!!

rackmaster

Thanks for the info, So through a lot of research on the computer today, I found the guy that made the mounts that Butch's hotrod shop used to sell years ago. I will be buying them next week. Thanks again....

57chero

I bought mine from butchs rod shop back when he made them,worked great sits right no problems.

Frankenstein57

I'm told the mustang 5.0 mounts work well with minor hole enlargement, I have a bare 351 block, bellhousing, trans,set to go in mine. I got a set on ebay for 12$  I'll let you know how it works, Mark

rackmaster

Are you running a 351w and if so what trans? and what mods. had to be done with the trans mount and drive shaft?
Thanks for the info.

Frankenstein57

Yes, I'm running a 351W with a mustang 5.o bellhousing and t-5 stick setup. I need to use a smaller 157 tooth flywheel with 28oz imbalance to run this bellhousing. I might drop the block and drivetrain in today. I do have the mustang trans mount, I'm going to see how it lines up with the 57 crossmember. I also saved a trans crossmember from a 88 towncar, it has the doublehump in it which should help for exhaust clearance. I'll let you know how everything fits,  Mark

Frankenstein57

I bolted up my dummy block on Sunday, I used the 5.0 fox chassis mustang mounts- they bolted up nice with a bit of trimming on the crossmember mount slots. The tailshaft of the t-5 trans will hit the 57 crossmember slightly, I could dish it for clearance. I have a trans mount from a 88 towncar automatic that sits right over the 57 crossmember slots, wouldn't take much fabbing to bolt it up.  I think I'll use the towncar crossmember for extra exhaust clearance. My mustang equal tube headers will hit the upper control arms, I'll need to put some after market control arms on ,or go with stock stang headers. I'm not sure on the driveshaft, we plan to swap the rearend to a Linclon Versialles.  Mark

57chero

Im using a C4, the tranny mount was about a 1- 1/2" foward of the crossmember stock location so I used a piece of flat steel bolted to the crossmember holes and drilled two holes for the tranny mount,Im sure everybodys motor and tranny sits a little different depending on what motor mounts, angle etc. for me a driveline out of a 91 lincoln 4dr. towncar fit perfect.

JPotter57

When I put the 351W in my last one, I used F100 mounts, `67-`72 or so.  I had to put spacers between the mount and the block to work though.  My current `57 is super easy...I just left the stock mounts on the 292 and it bolted right in... :003:
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.