News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Roadtrip

Started by kiwiragtop, 2016-05-05 04:32

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwiragtop

Hi guys, I am returning to the states in June with my son and his friend for another road trip. We will be starting in LA for the Pomona swapmeet. Then off to Vegas, we will be in Modesto  for the American Graffiti weekend, then we plan to make our way up to Minnesota for the back to the 50s car show, where we will be catching up with wildhog (Tom Drummond ) and the rest of the guys, from there we will head to Chicago then Detroit. Tom has asked us to join him at the Y - Block shootout in Indianapolis should be a cool event. from there not sure what we will be doing as long as were back in LA for the 4th July. I have a couple of questions if any of you guys have any suggestion's of places that are worth calling into it would be very much appreciated. Now for the southern California members where is the best place to go to celebrate 4th July?

only 4 weeks to go can't wait
Kiwiragtop     

hiball3985

Unfortunately I don't have a recommendation for the 4th. California doesn't have any great celebrations for the 4th or New years like other parts of the country  :005:. The best place to be would be Boston :003:. Only half way decent show in the LA area would be at the Rose Bowl..
Have a great trip
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

TKEBH964

All depends on the roads you are taking.  If you take I-80 from Modesto to St. Paul, you will be close to Bonneville at one point.  Further East if you continue on I-80 you will pass through Lincoln, Nebraska where you can go through the Speedway's American Museum of Speed.  There are likely many other fun things to do, but I would definitely hit those.

Zapato

I personally  remember a very good 4th (1975) at of all places Disneyland.  But it would have been great anywhere. If you saw her you'd know why it was such a great day. But have to agree even in San Diego (navy town) southern cal doesn't celebrate the 4th very well.

Zap' :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

kiwiragtop

Its very disappointing that California doesn't go all out, anyway looking on the net the Rose Bowl might be the one, we don't have a lot of options as we fly home the next day. Thanks for the tip on Bonniville there wont be anything on but that doesn't matter there will still be a photo opp.

Tom has given me a contact at the speedway museum as one of his car is on display, there so looking forward to seeing it

Rich from Amarillo I don't know if you remember me my wife and I called into see you three or four years back, I would like to catch up and have another look at your car. Can you send me a PM with your contact number and I will give you a call

Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep them coming, even if its a bit out of the way we still maybe able to detour a squeeze it in
We only have a start date and a finish date every thing in the middle is an opportunity

Cheers Kiwiragtop

RICH MUISE

I sure do remember. How have you been? You were here the day after one of our cats (that we still have) had a litter...one of which we still have. Is Julie coming on this trip with you? You mentioned your son and a friend. What happened to your old posts? Your count just says 4, at first I was wondering if it was you when I saw that. Post some dates when you have a better idea and I'll check for events in the areas you'll be going thru. Since you've been here they've opened a super nice musuem in Amarillo...definetly a must see while you're here...mostly all 50's and 60's no expense spared street rods. About 100 of them...and very few tri-five chevies!!
I'll send a pm with our address and phone numbers.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KidKourier

Kiwiragtop,       For fireworks you might try along the beach such as Huntington,Santa Monica,or Venice beaches as they shoot them out over the water.We are in our 7th year of drought so every ones being careful and personal fireworks are illegal in much of SoCal! Here's a website that might help while in L.A.  (www.SoCalCarCulture.com) it has car cruises/shows listed by month and every day in that month practicly,so you can plan ahead if you to see some local cars.  KidKourier

Ray

Long Beach, Queen Mary. Also, July 3rd at my dock in Alamitos Bay. Let me know about that if you want to attend. I don't promote or sell but I do invite friends.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

gasman826

What's the plan for Detroit?  What dates?

kiwiragtop

Hi, Gasman we will be in Detroit 21st until the 23rd then are off to the y block drags in Indianapolis The plan is to do the Henry ford Museum so that will be one of the days any suggestions on other stuff to do ???

Ray thanks for the invite we would be happy to come along. Its always good to meet people with the same intrest can you send me a PM with your details and I will give you a call.
Thanks Allan (Kiwiragtop)

Hi Rich, I sent you a PM with the dates we will be in your neck of the woods. No Julie isn't coming this time, its just a boys trip, so we can spend as much time as we want drinking beer and looking at car stuff.  That museum sound like a go so I will add it to the list, yeah my computer crashed, forgot my password, so it was easier to set a new account that why all my posts have gone to the empty place in the sky

KidKourier That website just about covers every day of the month. If I lived in CA I would never get anything done I would always be at a cruise nite. We also have issues with fireworks and fire risks, its much easier to go to planned events. Thanks again for the info

Cheers Kiwiragtop 

57AGIN

kiwiragtop: 

My wife and family are going to be taking a vacation trip to the East Coast the 2nd half of June, but we will be back before July.  My back yard opens on to a Joint Forces Training Base in Los Alamitos, CA and they have a 4th of July fireworks display every year.  If you wish we could do a BBQ and Rich lives just 1/4 mile from me and you, your family, etc. would be more than welcome to join us.  Although, Ray and his dock on Alamitos Bay would have a very great view of the Fireworks being done at the Queen Mary, which we can just barely see from out upstairs patio.  The fireworks show at our local military base usually last about 20 minutes and are not as spectacular as the Disney or Long Beach ones.  It is your call.  Also, if any other 57 Ford enthusiasts want to join us just let me know, you are very welcome too.

Bob
57 AGIN