News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Thank you Rich, and there may well come a time where we have to make do with what we have.
I just wanted to order a replacement U joint, and none available with Rockauto, No NOS stuff and only an offshore item for $30 on ebay, with the shipping $51 and add 20 -25% on top of that for custom fees and tax. that means $100 for a single U joint.... I may as well rock my Cuban Redneck version for a few thousand miles and see what happens... :005:

mustang6984

Curious...what if someone stateside mails you a package? A private person?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Very kind of you to think about that Hugh, but it really is a lot of paperwork and hazzle.
Jay was very helpful several times and as we were also sending personal things, calenders, letters and such which made it easier.
Oftentimes postage rates for a private person will even be much higher, compared to what an online seller or shop will charge (better parcel service rates for business).

On a brighter note, I just did more investigation, and found a modern equivalent from SKF. I have yet to see if it will fit (you know how the online compatibility charts are often off), but it is looking promising. also the official SKF homepage lists 57CS application. as soon as I can confirm that it fits I will post the part# over here. It is more reasonably priced at around $20 per item and $18 for shipping. As usual big vendors of mainstream everyday parts get much better shipping rates. As soon as you state 'classic car' or such in the description, I feel the prices double, and the quality will be cut down 50%  :003:  :deadhorse:

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

So while I am waiting for the replacement U joint, the cobbled together repair u joint still working well and quiet. Probably gonna leave it in as long as it doesn't get any louder or add vibrations.

At this point I might want to bring up a topic and ask for your opinions. The 57CS has been very reliable over the past 7 years, and I still have valid traffic inspection until late in 2025. so more than a year to go still.

I have been doing a lot of 'repair' work over the years to keep her rolling, but this old Lady sure is getting tired by now. There is heavy oil loss through the rear crankshaft seal (on extended highway speed cruising), some clunky play in the yoke/rearend, rust repair needed for the lower tailgate and generally the paint is getting very dull and needs some major TLC. I also drove it a lot, so some major suspension maintenance is to be expected after those miles and years. But it is all adding up and getting closer to becoming a major project and I am not sure how to handle this.
We all know how it goes when we dig into a car and several years later it still isn't finished, So I wonder whether I am going to :

semi-retire the 57CS,
keep it roadworthy,
use it only for local driving. as is.

or:
Rebuild a complete drive train and the tailgate, replacing suspension rubber and rub/add paint

or:
spare all those major projects and use them to start building my Del Rio project.

there is over a year left until next inspection, but I may want to start planning on this early on. What do you guys think ?

CobraJoe

The truth of the matter Guenther is, you need to decide if you want to bring her back to roadworthy condition, show condition or have just grown tired of driving it and need to move on to something new. In the end, only you can make that decision.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

lalessi1

It would be very hard for me to part out a running, driving car. I would refurbish the car mechanically over time then consider re-homing her. IMHO.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

We know you're not in with the group of guys that would start it, and not finish, leaving it to rot away into non-existence. That would be my major concern. With that said, my preference would be the Del Rio, so if you have to go with one or the other, I'd keep the CS road worthy while I was rebuilding the Rio. Most of us are not in a position like Jeff Norwell was doing two at the same time, lol.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Really appreciate your thoughts Joe, Lynn and Rich. Gives me lots to think about. ( Would love to hear Jim on this, since he rebuilt another replacement 292 for the Ranchero he is driving all the time). You all got the bull by the horns, exactly what my question was about.

Joe, my personal take is not really about getting it to show condition or getting tired of the car. I know that you being in Mass can relate to strict inspections and high tax rates. we know that we have to keep a car 'running', to make it worthwhile. The cost is very high over here too, and that's why I am thinking of rebuilding the drive train on the CS, so I can use it more often (while paying all those fees and taxes anyways).
I have a completely machined Y block , AOD trans and trans adapter kit (all purchased for the DR) that I'd need to assemble- Hundreds of hours of work. It could bring the CS to reliable new highway standards.
The 2dr Del Rio was always my dream car, but at this point in life I really don't care so much if a wagon has 2 or 4 doors... the DR looks awesome, but I also like the benefit of having 2 more doors for access, hauling family and friends, camping and whatnot.

I really don't want to miss out on driving a 57. but the CS may not be up to task for long distance cruises anymore, as is.

CobraJoe

Sounds like you already made up your in which direction to head....
Best of luck and let me know if there is anything you need; I can always drop it off with Jay if I have it.  :icon_super:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

djfordmanjack

Yes and no, Joe. There are some different strategies that I have come up over the years, how to deal with having 2x 57 Ford wagons and keeping/getting them on the road. I am still not sure which way to go, that's why I am asking for your opinions. All of your different ideas are truly valid and somewhat go along with my own thoughts.

Besides having to find the right decision, as always it is a matter of funds and garage space. Not so much in parts, because I really have hoarded and amassed tons of 57 Ford and Y block parts. I guess the only thing missing for my engine build is 2 new rocker shafts and maybe 2x valve rockers that I stole from my complete set (to replace worn out parts on my running 292 in the CS).
In addition to that I also have a running 351W, that came out of the DR. This is another possible way to put it into the CS, along with an AOD or C4. But it would really change the character and sound of this old car.....which I rather not have, because the Y block sounds and fits the Country Sedan perfectly well. I love that old battleship rumble... :003:

But yes I do see Joe, Lynn and Rich, you all agree on keeping the CS roadworthy. I am just hesitating in pulling the og 292 and try replacing the crankshaft seal only, because we all know how that goes..one thing leads to another and there would be another fully blown apart engine to rebuild. While it is still good enough as is for local commuting or 100 mile drives around the place.

CobraJoe

It might be able to be replaced in the vehicle with a "Sneaky Pete" . I've used one successfully on a 427 but not on a Y block.

Sneaky Pete

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

djfordmanjack

I guess, I did hear or see something similar before in old books, but wasn't aware at all about such a tool being available. Thank you very much, Joe. I need to investigate.  I also have a neoprene style (split seal) crank shaft seal in stock. Now I start to think, how much wiggle room I have, trans/engine in the car, mains slightly lowered and converter still in place.
You all may remember that I already replaced con rod bearings in the engine/under car/on the lift and it was a pretty cool an clean and successful mission. So now you got me thinking, Joe !

interestingly enough, this has been one of my absolute favorite Rockabilly songs for decades. Sonny Fisher - Sneaky Pete

djfordmanjack

This is SO C R A Z Y ! ! ! ! Sneaky Pete immediately got me thinking about another record that I have been  spinning a lot decades a go.

it is Sleepy La Beef's I'm through.
So now I look this up on Youtube, and it's a 1957 record again. and the  official recording number of the label is # 292.  WHAT, HOW, WHY ? I just can't believe it. can ya ?

here it is. I know you guys will not think much about this song, maybe, but it has been part of my life for 25+ years, and it keeps coming back... WOW ! pure Rockabilly. as it can ever get. seems the CS wants to keep her 292 with a new seal.