News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

2 weeks to inspection and a lot of things still need done. frontend alignment, brake lines and new hoses, engine cleaning, trailer hitch and socket mounted....I'll drive it like I stole it, cause somehow I stole it. Still can't believe it's mine  :003:

here's a cool 1957 Bob Luman song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H_Mp2Ri-sM

gasman826

I'm not picking but I noticed the left lift gate latch is missing.  I had one missing and finally found another latch assembly and installed it.  While installing the replacement, I found the original in the bottom of the tailgate.  The spring breaks and the latch falls to the bottom.  I found new springs and installed them on both latches.  Maybe yours is in the bottom of your tailgate.

djfordmanjack

I didn't find anything down there, but maybe it's wedged somewhere between the lower outer and inner panels. I will look one more time. good tip on replacing those springs! I'll get out one of the Del Rio latches this week and look what has to be done. rattling tailgates can be annoying and also sucking in exhaust fumes when not properly closed/sealed. I just replaced the worn lift gate striker plates this week with NOS ones. Left that missing latch aside, because my main focus is to get the car all together and all mechanical things, brakes, steering aso up to strict vehicle inspection standards asap.

djfordmanjack

now it is getting hilarious... :002:
quick hitech frontend alignment.
The wooden 3/16" shim equals to 1degree camber on the 12" long water level.
the pssgr a arm needed 2x 1/16 + 1/32 ( =5/32) shim packs. the drivers only 1/32nd.
caster wasn't disturbed too much.
toe in needed 1/8 adjusted. a 10 miles test drive and it handles nice again so far.

sitting nicely in the low evening sun

held up the trailer hitch and it seems to fit. came of a Ranchero. Does anybody have such a hitch and maybe has some detail pics ?

mustang6984

I am beginning to believe that your ride is nicer, and possibly safer than many of the currently produced cars on the roads today!  :003: Looks oh so sweet!!!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

quote:and possibly safer than many of the currently produced cars on the roads today! 
Don't think that way for a minute. The cars today are incredibly safer than the days of old. We need to keep that in mind every minute we're behind the wheel. What they do have that the old NEW ones don't is Character. Kinda like old buildings vs. new. But yes, Guenter has one sweet looking car.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Oh...I suppose...but I look at how many people fail to maintain their vehicles, drive with junk brakes, bald tires and burned out lights...(always the same light on the same car day in and day out) and his looks so much better. Maybe I need to drive around better people! LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Seeing your point, Hugh. But Rich is right! we must not forget the 60 years of progress in safety aspects. Since I don't have a new car and driving old cars all year round and everyday, I have become used to drive more carefully, keep more distance, looking ahead in traffic to make up for our old brakes and especially tires. using the turn signals early enough. Problem is that most everyday people have no clue about old cars. They don't know about their handling characteristics, brakes and tires. Everytime you keep 3 car length distance in stop and go, another new car will slip in just in front of you and you'll have to brake twice as hard again....doh!
It's useless to talk about passgr safety in an old car.
I do agree with Hugh, that we must properly maintain ( especially) an old car and there is no place for being careless in traffic.

mustang6984

I have to say there are places I probably would not drive my '57 if it were still running drum brakes all around, like Seattle...or in L.A. Both places I spend too much time in. But mine will be upgraded to disc fronts...so braking will be good. And of course the rest of today's cars with their designed "crumple zones" and airbags and such make today's cars better...but I was mostly referring to the lack of maintenance on cars today...people don't seem to take care of them like they used to...sadly.   >:(
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

That is true Hugh. Because you can't repair new cars for yourself anymore for the most part, people don't maintain them properly.
Since I am self employed, I try to arrange my driving so not to get stuck in heavy downtown traffic. also when on vacation I'd rather do a 50 miles detour on countryroads than getting stuck in heavy traffic on the highways. For what it's worth though, the drum brakes easily lock up the wheels on the 57, if needed. but we all know the difference between discs and drums. my Del Rio has discs up front.
For a little more safety I wired the wagon for a Hazard flasher switch the other week. it is the least we can do.

Ford Blue blood

We now take for granted thing like air bags (front/side/head), crumple zones, roll over protection, traction control (skid/anti lock), stainless exhaust systems, anti theft, and fuel economy.  I am glad they "don't build them like they used to"!  Not myself I worry about so much, it's the rest of the world that is in way too much of a hurry.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

How'd we manage to live this long...lead in the gas, asbestos in everything, non-collapsing steering columns, no rain sensitive wipers, no parking assist...

John Palmer

I think your pictured trailer hitch would be fine for a small trailer with a light tongue weight, say 250# or less.  My concern would not be the hitch itself, but the strength of the rear cross member that it's attached to.  It's a good design that it goes forward to the next cross member, but I do not see much "side to side" sway strength.

The hitch I modified was a square tube receiver "kit", and attaches with three 1/2" bumper bolts per side.  It also has a plate bolted in the center that attaches to the Ranch Wagon's rear cross member to tie it together.  I have towed 17' 2000# trailer's comfortably, but did add one leaf to the rear springs.  I did not have a trailer brake controller connected in the car, and that will be my next addition.

Sorry I have no photos.

Your wagon is LOOKING GOOD! 

John Palmer

Quote from: gasman826 on 2017-04-24 11:21
How'd we manage to live this long...lead in the gas, asbestos in everything, non-collapsing steering columns, no rain sensitive wipers, no parking assist...

And........with all the vehicles equipped today with "automatic trailer backing" systems, it won't be fun to go to the lake and watch people trying to back up their boat trailers anymore!

djfordmanjack

John, thank you for sharing your actual experience with trailer hitches. I absolutely do agree that the rear crossmember is much to weak to carry the load. BUT- what you don't see in my pic is the bracket that attaches the trailer hitch to the rear bumper and bumper brace with at least a 1/2 or 9/16" bolt, so the hitch mostly hangs on the bumper and center brace ( which are bolted to the chassis with 4x 1/2" bolts. In my mind I want to add a 2x2 thick wall square tube into the rear crossmember for reinforcement and add 1/8" reinforcement plates to the little trailer hitch crossmember.
In Europe trailer tongue load is a lot different than what you have in the US and we are only alowed to have 160pds of tongue load, no matter how heavy the trailer. so it is more 'pulling' than actual weight on the hitch. appreciate your input !