News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2017-02-01 04:53
.............I will own a welder, and be learning to use it.
If working with steel, you need a torch and welder.  The floors are a perfect place to learn and improve your welding skills.  BEFORE YOU BUY;  If available in your area, take a welding class at a vocational, trade, or community college.  If one is not available, your welding supply dealer should be able to point you to a work shop or some kind of orientation.  Not only do you get initial welding tips, but also safety and model specific features are discussed.  I enrolled in my local vocational school welding class just for the opportunity to play with 14, brand new makes/models of MIG welders!  If you find welding satisfying and enjoyable (if not, pay someone else to do the job) then and only then buy the smallest, 220V, MIG welder with gas tank.  GET THE SAFETY STUFF!!!...gloves, jacket, leather shoes, auto dark helmet, fire extinguisher...  It can be such a great thrill to stick to pieces of steel together!

hiball3985

You European guys like G and Gary leave me in awe with your fabrication skills. It must be the water :003: I have been following this guys build, for those who haven't seen it before. He started with a rusted out hulk that didn't even have an engine. After installing a used I6 and getting it running it has been amazing to watch, many pieces that couldn't be purchased he hand fabricated. It's a long series, something for rainy days..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2a3ynyjCmY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0A13_qp55Y
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Nice thorough job, Guenther. watching almost makes me want to do another car...almost.
Mustang....what Gary said about the welding....particularly the 220 v with a tank...NO flux core!! Make learning how to weld a priority. It'll change your life, and mig welding is easy to learn to be adequate. I cannot imagine restoring one of these without knowing how to weld.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

I have thought about taking a welding class...and would like to one day. BUT...with this car...time is kind of not on my side for that at the moment. So I may have to just rely on others to get the welding done.
I know a couple of guys (not living near me anymore) who have taught themselves to weld, and do a very good job. And I have thought about going that route. But for now, on this project, I guess I'll probably move along with the fellow who said he would do the work, and just be persistent in getting what I want the way I want it.

But everything you both said about learning...makes sense...lots of sense. Thanks.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Limey57

I agree with others comments about welding courses, I did an engineering apprenticeship several years ago where I was taught gas, arc and MIG, all were a great help.  One of the biggest problems facing the home-restorer is the MIG wire starting to oxidise/corrode through lack of use (probably not a problem for those in warmer climates), the other common problem is not cleaning the adjoining edges properly, I've seen so many people trying to get a good weld onto painted/undercoated/rusted metal!  I always sand the edges with a flap-wheel in a grinder, even on new steel.

Nothing beats practise and nothing looks better than a neatly welded, metal-finished repair.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Limey57

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-02-01 07:44
You European guys like G and Gary leave me in awe with your fabrication skills. It must be the water :003:

Nah, long cold, wet days that seem to last for 11 months of the year and rubbish TV means that going in the garage is the only way to keep ourselves entertained!!!!!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Limey57

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-02-01 04:15
replaced inner rocker flange and repaired lower a posts. cleaned out braces and they will get coated with Rustoleum soon. I use Owatrol to seal all the overlapping sheetmetal and tight corners. it nicely creeps nearly everywhere.

Excellent work, any idea what the flat panel under the floor is for (the one with the "X" shape pressed into it)?  I assumed some sort of re-enforcement but it doesn't seem to do a great deal other than trap rust.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Not 100% sure, but I believe those were heat shields for the mufflers.  Although my not-original muffler was not in that location.

djfordmanjack

yes they are heat shields on both sides, because the mufflers are right under the drivers and pssgr feet. they are approx 3/4 " distance from the actual floorboards.
Gary, can you please say 'rubbish' for us in your Birmingham accent ? :003:
I agree with taking welding class. It is not so hard to learn and even quality welders come fairly reasonably priced today. everyone can afford to have one.
I was very lucky to learn all kinds of welding in technical school and only practise and looking at other talented guys will make you a certified welder. I do think that taking welding class also improves talking to your trusted person doing the welding even if you don't do the welding yourself. It will improve your understanding what can and can't be done with old and new metal and will help alot in advising what you want done.
I am doing nothing magic here. just solid, patient and clean work. As Limey mentioned, clean tools, wire, quality gas and thorough metal preparation is the key to success.

Wirenut

I'm a self taught welder (started out as pigeon pooper). I ruined a few thin body panels attempting to learn how to weld thin body panels on a mustang donor car I had. I really do wish I had taken some classes in hindsight. I do enjoy being able to fabricate pretty much anything I need and repair as needed too. It is rewarding to be able to weld up a table, work bench, hog trap and put it to work knowing you did that from scratch and did all the welding.
Regarding those heat shield under the driver and passenger floors, I got in an argument at a muffler shop I took my 57 to install the mufflers on. I told them I wanted to put the mufflers below those heat shields and the owner told me he had been installing mufflers for 40 years and on that car they needed to go to the rear of the car. I ended up taking the car to another shop and they installed them under the shield.

mustang6984

Guys like that clown REALLY annoy the hell out of me! Which is why I have had a hard time finding a machine shop to do the work for the bottom end of my 390. I have specific things I want done, and I don't want to argue the point. This is far from my first time with an engine overhaul/rebuild, and some of these clowns take the attitude of "leave it here, I'll do the work, and call you when I am done...and you WILL like it". Eh...my kiester...your lips buddy!
I think I may have finally found one...will be heading 70 miles down the road to have a chat with him soon.

I understand where you are all coming from about the welding...fully!!! And I agree. But...as mentioned above...time is an issue on this job, n one available for sitting the project aside to go to a class for 3-4 months. So...I'll have to just deal with the fellow who is doing my work, and we'll get it done.
I have saved a couple of hoods and a door for the purpose of practicing welding should I have to "self-teach"...and I have access to a welder...and for some reason I actually OWN a stick welder.  So I may start playing around with the MIG and see how much damage I can do to one of those hoods! LOL!!!

Regarding those heat shield under the driver and passenger floors, I got in an argument at a muffler shop I took my 57 to install the mufflers on. I told them I wanted to put the mufflers below those heat shields and the owner told me he had been installing mufflers for 40 years and on that car they needed to go to the rear of the car. I ended up taking the car to another shop and they installed them under the shield.
[/quote]
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

I think most exhausts that I've seen actually have them back under the rear seat area. If you're wanting an X or H pipe before the mufflers, it's the only way.

mustang6984

On my car, it isn't much of an issue...since it is a Courier. And I'll be putting an "X" pipe in it. I think those of us with Couriers...have an easier life overall! hehehehehehehe!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

floor progress
did a budget repair on the fronts, not 100% og, but is solid and covers the gaping hole. could be replaced with OEM ribbed section later on.

djfordmanjack

put a little more effort into the middle section at the 3rd brace as I want this to last forever and never have to come out of the car again.