News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

So are you saying that I should not use this donor metal for repairing the a posts ? I thought the ribs would come in handy for building the dogleg area and I would keep it all Ford as well... :003: :002:

djfordmanjack

Again I have to thank you Jay as you kept me from overdoing this car into a restoration project, which it was never intended to be from the start! doing smaller projects within a reasonable time limit is the key to success on a driver project like this.
I am just trying to get the metal work done asap and putting everthing together again before spring. Many smaller things will be left to do for later and can be done when the car is on the road again. I'll have plenty of time since it seems the Country Sedan is becoming a keeper. :003:
Floors are nearly done.

Seems like somebody had an utterly relaxing week of floorboard renovation... :003:

mustang6984

Ah...you did floors...I seem to have found the curve in my tailgate again. A little more to do, then comes the driver's side wheel well. THAT is going to be a challenge.
(your floors look better! my tailgate is going to need some of Eastwood's non-lead solder kit work to get all of the form back into it.)

Nice work! Wish i could "drive over" and see your work first hand!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

managed to save all of the original front bench seat hardware. welded up the chewed down main bolts and got the frozen nuts off the front studs after soaking them 3 days in vinegar acid and another day in rust penetrating solvent. still took heat and all the wrenching force I could apply without shearing off the studs.
No way to get any of this special unified threads hardware overhere, let alone the og factory specs. now they're good for another 60 years :001:

djfordmanjack

Getting ready to bring some Rock'n'Roll back in the Country Sedan. Originally bought this NOS tissue dispenser for the Del Rio. love the looks of period accessories. og 1950s tissues would be a shame to use up anyways so I folded some more ABS panel into a liner tray and the tissue dispenser will hold my modern sound bar, easily accessable when down under middle of dash and digital radio will be hidden when dispenser is closed.

gasman826

Nice work on the seat hardware.  Don't forget the Nevr Seez. 

I remember taking the first ride in my uncles brand new pink '59 Mercury.  I sat in the center of the huge bench seat and admired the new tissue box.  My uncle never drove it in the winter and put it in storage in 1969 with only 43k miles on it.  In 1989, I pulled it out of storage with the '69 plates still on it for his estate sale.  His daughters were crying as the car sold.  It was later when they found I had bought it and they were thrilled to have it stay in the family.  It didn't need chrome or paint.  I cleaned the interior, new brakes and exhaust, changed fluids and a new set of points.  The clock started and kept good time as soon as I put in the new battery.  I drove the car one summer and sold it.  I still have the '69 plates with matching DAV ID tags and the tissue box.

Ecode70D

I clearly remember seeing  those big Mercury' s  driving around, but can't remember what they had in them  for an engine.

mustang6984

So...question...if getting hardware over there is rough (from this era)..is it the cost? Or availability? Because I bought a complete kit for reassembly from a fellow here in the states. I assume he could ship to you if you wanted, so you didn't have to "re-make" your bolts.

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-02-14 18:21
managed to save all of the original front bench seat hardware. welded up the chewed down main bolts and got the frozen nuts off the front studs after soaking them 3 days in vinegar acid and another day in rust penetrating solvent. still took heat and all the wrenching force I could apply without shearing off the studs.
No way to get any of this special unified threads hardware overhere, let alone the og factory specs. now they're good for another 60 years :001:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Hugh it's about availability here. If you look closely at the pics you can see they are stepped bolts with a shoulder on them and that prevents the body rubbers from getting squashed. the rear bolts are attached to the frame for safety and being padded by rubber it probably makes for the soft rattle free seating in a stock 57!
the little front studs have the extension without threads, much like a body bolt. It will make it easy to slip the bench over the carpet once the studs are in the car. No fiddling with bolts and not finding the cage nut under the floors.
It might look silly to mess with bolts, but that's my reasoning.
I had no idea that these bolts were available as a set or I would have probably ordered it. Since my CS is all about being a daily driver and trying to keep cost down I think it's about saving little stuff as well.
Gary, survivor cars like you uncle's are the best ones. especially with family heritage. 4dr Hts are nice and these big 58/9 Mercs are not bad looking at all.
engine could have been a 292 Y I think but most probably a 383, 410 or even a 430 MEL ?
Jay remember when Baumi had his little speaker with him in your shop and it was nice listening at good old 1950s music? My 'sound bar' what they call them is similar and it holds 1000s of songs. I use to carry this from car to car and I also have it in the 34 above the driver's sun visor. a little charging every 10 hrs and you are good to go. can also take it with you to the shop or when you are out at the beach or countryhouse.
I'll put plenty of copper neverSeeze on those bolts for sure and adding some wax from below when seat is in.

mustang6984

The set I bought was actually a full assembly set for a '56. The guy doesn't have a '57 kit yet. But he told me to use all the ones I need, then send him back the ones I didn't need, and he would send me the balance of what I do need. With that info, he could then create a '57 kit.
The bolts all come in marked packets stating what they are used for. Small family operation, his daughter runs the business end...he does the the factory side. If you should need to get anything, let me know...I'll dig up his info. It's at my shop. My son also bought some stuff from him for his '68 Mustang.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

That info would surely be good to have, please!
I have bought stuff online frome someone called alloybolts I think, mainly engine ss and also interior garnish molding kits. there is also a shop in Atlanta, Ga specializing in the hard to get things like cage nuts but not everything is available. Thankfully Jay gave me some of his old 57/58 project leftovers and it's priceless to have these little things when you need them.
I can also highly recommend bolt depot in Mass. Unfortunately ( for me) they only do domestic sales but you can choose your own number of bolts and they do have neat stuff like SS machine head screws aso. Glad I took a good assortment when I was there. Great business!
https://www.boltdepot.com/

mustang6984

I am heading o0ut to the shop today. When I get there I'll get the info and send it to you.
As for the other place...I'm sure if there is something you wanted, some sleight of hand could be done to get it for you...sent to one of us here, and then from us to you. Circumvent that "domestic" thing.

I also have this place...
http://autobodyclips.com/Hardware-Clips-&-Fasteners/c82_7/index.html
I haven't used them yet...but maybe they have some stuff you might need.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

I found the info on that bolt place. I knew I had it somewhere in my computer. (Now it is bookmarked so I don't have to go looking again). The website is http://www.totallystainless.com/ and if you want anything from him he will either have it or know where to get it. He goes by "Doc" and his daughter's name is Abigail.

Hope they can help you out. Great people.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

thanx Hugh !

floors finished
:003:

RICH MUISE

Very efficient time , and a great job to boot. I'm curious......do you have a regular job you have to devote lots of hours to as well? You sure get lots done.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe