News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Frozen Convertable Frame

Started by JDoug, 2016-12-30 00:40

Previous topic - Next topic

JDoug

Hi All.. I am new to this forum.. I have a '57 Fairlane Convert and have been told that often those sitting around have joints in the frame freeze up. Trying to loosen can sometimes break them..  Mine has been sitting in a garage for 44 years.. Super straight, top is in shreds..  I am wanting to see if the top frame is froze but not sure what method to do and I sure don't want to break it.. any suggestions would be most welcome..

Thanks, JDoug

Lgcustom

Welcome to the forum! Though I'm not one of the experts on convertibles, since the top is in shreds, the first thing I would do is get penetrating oil into every joint you can find. Then let it soak a few days and carefully try to move each joint. The experts will chime in soon hopefully. I wish you success.

geraldchainsaw

i have some experience so i'll tell you what i know.    2 years ago i broke my conv  frame and had to have it welded.    its possible some of the joints could be stuck,  but i would check the cylinders first,  mine the mounting bracket was broke,  lots of things can go wrong,  could be a electrical switch,  stuck joints or bad cylinders or busted brackets,  have someone with u when u do try to figuer it out,  of course have the back seat out,  it takes alot to break the frame,  but it is hydraulic

59meteor

I am certainly no expert in convertible tops, but as far as freeing up stuck fasteners or seized metal items, I have yet to find any commercial penetrant that works as good as brake fluid. As a automotive dealership mechanic, it seemed that every 3 or 4 Oxogen Sensors that we needed to replace would unthread 1/2 turn or so, and then lock up solidly, refusing to go back in as well. Even trying a variety of brand name penetrating oils or heat from a torch, often resulting in badly damaged threads in the exhaust manifold or exhaust pipe. After discovering that brake fluid makes a great lube, we have never had a stuck O2 sensor damage any threads since. It has also worked great on seized brake caliper slides, frozen linkages, and almost anything else we tried it on. I keep a plastic syringe in my toolbox, which is great for directing the brake fluid into tough to reach areas. Might be worth a try.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ray

ditto on the brake fluid idea. soft top frames are dissimilar metals, steel pins, base metal folding arms, and some sheet metal parts. the one I am currently working on I have had to use light acid and oil based products alternately. good luck.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

SkylinerRon

Don't drip brake fluid on anything you want to keep.
I use PBBlaster where I have to spray and ATF/Acetone mix on anything I can soak.
Spray the joints several times (days apart).
You might try unhooking the top cylinders and lower the top by hand.

Goodluck,

Ron.