News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ford engine red

Started by Limey57, 2017-01-22 15:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

I'm painting my engine & transmission red, but I'm getting conflicting opinions on the right shade. I've done the transmission (see below) but I'm now wondering if it's too orange? Any opinions? I don't want folks thinking I've use C***y engine paint!

Gary

1957 Ranchero

rmk57

Transmissions were not usually painted at all. If you're going for the y-block red, that shade you have there looks way to bright.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Limey57

Thanks, the only reason I painted the transmission was because someone else had painted it previously. I've looked on the POR colour chart & the Y block red is darker, should have asked all this before I started painting...... Oh well, time to break out the spray gun again!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

suede57ford

I personally use a color called Rangoon Red, Code J, off a 1965 Ford truck in place of the spray can variations. It is a very attractive red/orange similar to the original color but more vibrant.   I never use spray can paint on engines, as they are one-part paints and re-wet if any fuel or solvent get on them.  I have the paint store mix the Rangoon Red in a single-stage urethane(catalyzed) and spray it through a gun after a coat of epoxy primer.  I realize this is more effort and expense, but the results will be amazing.  With this method the paint will be as durable as the outside paint on your car, and stay fresh looking forever, and make your detailing very professional looking.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Jeff Norwell

I have used the Por-15 engine paint kits in the past and love the "Ford" red kit.If you follow instructions ..I find the finish is outstanding and in my case ... very durable.I tend to like it to to the "porcelain " feel finish...But... that's just me being an artist.
Unfortunately... there are no custom colours....
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

JPotter57

After having Corporate Ford blue, 66-67 era, urethane mixed and sprayed onto my 427, I find myself wishing I had done it in black instead.  The blue looks really, really good,  but doesnt really fit my 1962-63 era build well.  If I had doneit in black, it would have looked 100% correct in my effort to build it as if it had been done in 63.  I did fudge a little on the intake and valve covers.  Those werent available until 66 and 68, but they do look good.  At some later point, when I go through the 427 to upgrade it with crank, rods and pistons, I will change the color to black.  In the end, it really is all about the look you want.  Like Pat, I never use spray bombs any more, better quality stuff even in the cheapest of auto paints.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Limey57

Would the engine colour in 57 have varied depending on the engine type? I've seen red, black and blue over the years. I chose red as it was a complete contrast to the blue & white of the body.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Jeff Norwell

I love old Ford promo mock ups..... and this 63 M/T cover is a visual dream for me....I understand no Ford engine came red in 63.... but the look is what i love..truth be known.. it was most likely a dummy set up for display only.
Images like this set 100,000 kids on modelling adventures.

I love red and black... but the 427 pictured here is a perfect balance on a BB Ford for me.(or any engine)I understand its not restoration correct...but I am not in that room at all.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

To the best of my knowledge all the Y blocks in passenger cars were red in 57, only valve cover decals varied depending on the engine.. Some early Y blocks in trucks were yellow or black through the years.
All FE's and 221, 260, 289 were black until 1965, then in 1966 everything went blue but there weren't any Y blocks in US cars, they ended in 1964..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

petew

I have 3 Y block powered cars . A 55 Tbird , 56 Merc and my 57 Country Sedan Wagon. All of the engines are painted red. The Merc was supposed to be gold or cream color but I just couldn't do it. I like red engines so they are red !
I like Eastwoods engine paints and use either their universal red or Ford red.

Limey57

Thanks everyone, red it is then!  I need to put an order in with Eastwood so I'll get the paint from there and use it over an epoxy primer.

I notice this thread has earned me my second "smite", I guess someone saw it as a stupid question to ask....................
Gary

1957 Ranchero

fdlrc

I used Eastwood's red. Liked it. What is a smite? I guses it not so good?
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

Limey57

Quote from: fdlrc on 2017-01-28 17:04
I used Eastwood's red. Liked it. What is a smite? I guses it not so good?

It's your Karma score on the left, you do something got& get a +, if someone doesn't like what you say you get a -. I got one a couple of years ago for talking about annual safety inspections we have to have here, the second with this thread. Not the end of the world but a bit of a kick in the teeth when I like this place  so much.

Eastwood products are usually pretty good, I'm picking the engine up tomorrow so hope to get it painted next week.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

fdlrc

I checked,  mine is universal red.

I guess I was brought up to pick your battles, if someone says  something,  that in your opinion,  is wrong or you don't like it, just to let it go. Unless its something like the ship is sinking. Do I get a - for saying this?
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

djfordmanjack

Gary, I got a smite just the other day and I have no idea to as why. Guess it isn't that bad. :003:
concerning the color it is very difficult to judge on the computer screen, but to me that red looks quite ok.
I think the Y blocks came in different colors each model year, the 57s should be red I guess. later truck engines were yellow.