Who can replace the " Mirror Glass" in a Day - Night Mirror?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2017-01-27 11:47

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I need to replace the mirror glass in a Day-Night Mirror I'm going to use in my Ranchero. I've called around locally ( Louisville KY.) and could not find a source. Locally, they tell me they can replace the mirror glass, but it will not function as a Day-Night Mirror, as it did before, as the mirror glass they can install will be different than what was originally installed
Anyone know a source for getting this Day-Night Mirror Re-Mirrored correctly?
Also , can anyone tell me the difference in Day-Night Mirror Glass vs. Mirror Glass?
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

I don't know, but if I had to hazard a guess, it may be the same as a two-way mirror. That stuff, if it is in fact what it is, may be what was used in the commonly found "infinity mirrors" you use to see at swap meets, etc. Lot of "maybe's" there, but fuel for thought.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Thanks Rich. I had not thought about "two way glass"
I hope there is a known source that can install the correct "Glass" in my Day-Night Mirror, and that someone here on the Forum will share the information. Maybe (Hopefully )  there is a "Glassman" among the Forum members that can shed some light on this. I'm guessing that I'm not the only member that would benefit from knowing where or how this can be done. I've seen many Day -Night mirrors that needed the mirror/glass replaced.
Thanks again
John

lalessi1

I was curious so I "googled it".The glass is actually ground in a wedge shape when viewed from the side. Obviously not stock type material.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/10/how-a-cars-rear-view-mirror-works/
Lynn

Randyh

SkylinerRon

Try the "Services offered" section in Hemmings.

Ron.

KYBlueOval

Thanks Lynn, Randyh and Ron............your replies are very much appreciated. Randyh's recommendation looks very promising, based on their website. A call on Monday will confirm if they can replace the Day-Night Glass, as they do not specifically mention it.
Thanks
John

lalessi1

I did find Corvette replacement day night mirror glass (preshaped). Maybe you can have that cut down?
Lynn

KYBlueOval

KYBlueOval

Problem solved. Called the Mirror Lady in Pa. Didn't expect anyone to answer on a Saturday, but they did. Spoke to "The Lady" and yes they can do it all. Great!
Thanks to all that replied, especially Randyh for the great lead.
John

JPotter57

Keep an eye out at swapmeets.  Last year at Columbus, I bought an NOS in the cool red and white FoMoCo  box for a 1958 Tbird or a 1956 Victoria, not sure which, for $20...I was tickled to death.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.