News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Custom Trunk Divider

Started by lalessi1, 2017-02-11 08:52

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

Anybody know what an original trunk divider looks like and where/how it attaches.
Lynn

hiball3985

Are asking about the cardboard, similar to the kick panels that is between the back of the trunk and the rear seat?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/57-Ford-Trunk-Divider-/201385188717?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

picture is generic
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I think Dennis Carpenter sells them, so they should have a pic in their catalog. I think they attach along the weld flange at the trunk dropoff and wheel well. I'm gonna make some eventually, not sure how they attach up tp at the fender. In hindsight, I should have welded some tabs before bodywork and paint. There must be an easy way to do it afterwards.....look at all the cars at shows that have upholstered trunks, and I would think very few of them hit an upholstery shop for prep before paint.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jeff Norwell

I was not sure what Lynn was asking..and I was about to make mine......Damn I love this site.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

Just thinking back to the old days we use to weld sheet metal in that area in our circle track cars for a safety barrier. I think if I had a passenger car today I would do that again..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

aluminum highway signs work great!!!

lalessi1

I am gonna make mine, I am talking about the divider behind the rear seat. I saw that divider on eBay but I wasn't sure that they are reproducing the original design. For some reason I remember the divider being on the seat side and there is a perfect recess there? I don't think the Dennis Carpenter stuff is for a Custom. I bought an FRP 4x8 sheet for cardboard stuff. Package tray came out great.
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2017-02-11 17:48
I am gonna make mine, I am talking about the divider behind the rear seat. I saw that divider on eBay but I wasn't sure that they are reproducing the original design. For some reason I remember the divider being on the seat side and there is a perfect recess there? I don't think the Dennis Carpenter stuff is for a Custom. I bought an FRP 4x8 sheet for cardboard stuff. Package tray came out great.
I think you are right Lynn, it went on the seat side and that recess is were we would weld in the sheet metal.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Guess I posted before I had enough coffee....was talking about the side panels, not behind the seat.  My car has fold down seats in the back (just in case I decided to take up surfing), so I left it open. Good thing...it sure came in handy when my trunk solenoid wasn't working.
Sorry, Jeff.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2017-02-11 13:51
I was not sure what Lynn was asking..and I was about to make mine......Damn I love this site.

Jeff
      Like we discussed on the phone, that one in the picture is NOT THE ONE for your business coupe application .
     This is what yours should look like.  Even though they are both for 57 Fords, It would be like comparing oranges  to apples just because they are fruit.
      The mounting screws are correct, and in exactly the same location as my original panel that I copied.  On the BC application, the back panels  are attached with chromed screws and concave washers.
       The side panels are attached with push in clips.
        FWIW  the BC  rear side panels are totally different also.  They don't even  somewhat resemble
a regular car panels.
        I'm not trying to steal this thread.  I'm just trying to keep the guys that are building / making a
Business Coupe from making an expensive and time consuming mistake..
  Jay   

lalessi1

The 70D interior is something I was curious about as well. So the panel I am talking about is rectanglar and mounts behind the seat on the inside of the car...? I am assuming it was held on by clips (there was one or two still on my car).
Lynn

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2017-02-12 05:30

Jeff
      Like we discussed on the phone, that one in the picture is NOT THE ONE for your business coupe application .
     This is what yours should look like.  Even though they are both for 57 Fords, It would be like comparing oranges  to apples just because they are fruit.
      The mounting screws are correct, and in exactly the same location as my original panel that I copied.  On the BC application, the back panels  are attached with chromed screws and concave washers.
       The side panels are attached with push in clips.
        FWIW  the BC  rear side panels are totally different also.  They don't even  somewhat resemble
a regular car panels.
        I'm not trying to steal this thread.  I'm just trying to keep the guys that are building / making a
Business Coupe from making an expensive and time consuming mistake..
  Jay   

That is the pattern I have Jay...I am staying the course and finish what I have. Thanks Jay!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ecode70D

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2017-02-12 07:59
The 70D interior is something I was curious about as well. So the panel I am talking about is rectanglar and mounts behind the seat on the inside of the car...? I am assuming it was held on by clips (there was one or two still on my car).

Lynn
     That's correct...  The other panel is  mounted behind the seat and inside the car for sure.
Unfortunately, I don't know how it is held in place if , it was with clips or screws.   I am certain that they have a totally different overall shape.. Jay.   

suede57ford

Jay,

Thanks for sharing the differences in the Business Coupes.

Is you car going to be a the E&F-Code 57 Ford Reunion at Carlisle in June?

Pat
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Ecode70D

Pat
     There is a world of differences behind the front seat of a business coupe.  For example the cardboard side panels are totally different from normal and they are not covered with fabric.  Also the inner wheel well housings are covered with a boot on each side just to name a few things.     

I can't make it to the 57 reunion in Carlisle.   I have other commitments at home.

Please send me a PM with your email address. 
Jay