News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

mufflers pooched out

Started by JimNolan, 2008-05-29 16:54

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
    I replaced the springs on the car this week. The new springs raised it about 1 1/2 inches. So, I took the air shocks off and went to regular shocks. While I was under the car I found that both mufflers were pooched out ( big time ). Like something exploded inside them. My car hasn't backfired or anything like that so I'm puzzled as to why my mufflers would look like that. I run 2 inch pipes all the way to the back. Is there such a thing as mufflers too small. I've also noticed that the exhaust noise is more throaty lately. That's a good thing but I don't want to keep running these things if my exhaust needs bigger mufflers. Anyone out there had this problem. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

shopratwoody

Jim,
I'd guess they're just blown out. I've seen them split at the seams when new. Poor quality
or just old. Poor quality doesn't mean they were cheap :003: I don't think size is a
factor IMO. At least not for blowing them out.
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

JPotter57

Jim, with a 390, I wouldnt run anything less than 2 1/4, which is still a little small in my opinion.  I will prob run 2.14 on the 292, but would still rather run 2 1/2, just `cuz it sounds better...I had 3 inch on my last `57, and it sounded totally evil, man...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

wolfpupsdad

yes jim there is such a thing as to small of a muffler. in really simple terms , a toyota muffler don't belong on a hemi cuda, ooooooops i implied a bad word, lol. ya get my point tho. if the muffler restricts to much flow and has to much back pressure it can and will cause the problem you have discribed , seen it. done it , have the t-shirt. orit could be a badly built muffler to begin with. heres what i did once.
  70 plymouth duster, mildly built 318 ,mild cam , intake and carb set up , headders , 3 inch collector down to 2 1/2 inlets and 2 inch outlets.
after only 1500 miles onthe build i got under the car to fix and E- brake cable and saw the muffles had bulged out never seen that happen before myself. mufflers were walker type stock duster replacements. was told to go to 2 1/2 in and 2 1/2 out and put a balance tube in the system and use a welded case and not the stock type wrapped ,. problem solved.

JimNolan

Wolfpupsdad,
    Thanks for the information. I'll take it in tomorrow and confront the guy that installed the mufflers. Only this time I think I'll get bigger pipes also. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.