News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Gas Tank Insallation Questions

Started by KYBlueOval, 2018-02-25 15:38

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I test fitted the gas tank while my Ranchero body is on the rotisserie and I'd like to find out what is the recommended way of insulating the tank from the spare tire well, to prevent metal to metal contact. What have you used, where was it purchased, and where did you use it ? Second question.......what have you used between the gas tank straps and the gas tank,and where do I purchase it?
Thanking everyone in advance
John

lalessi1

I used some neoprene rubber for the straps that I bought from a local supply house (as I remember)... I think I used a more compressible rubber tape type insulation that I bought at "Home Depot" to put between the tank and body (it is used to wrap A/C lines for thermal insulation)???? I actually had these products on hand for some time so my memory is fuzzy at best!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armacell-2-in-x-30-ft-R-1-Foam-Insulation-Tape-TAP18230/100539553?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-100153842-_-100539553-_-N
Lynn

RICH MUISE

As Lynn did, I used a neoprene typr 1/16" rubber strip in the straps. It came with the new SS straps I bought with the tank. Auto City Classic.

For the insulation, old school guys used heavy roofing felt / tar paper. I used the same self stick aluminum/rubber insulation sheeting (dynamat type) that I used on my floors.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

OK, maybe my thinking is wrong? I didn't use anything and wanted the tank grounded. Why insulate it?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I sure can't argue the grounding point you made, but that could be done with a grounding strap.  All I can say about the 'why insulate' is because Ford did it back when. I figure it helps keep movement of the tank/ metal to metal/ at a minumum. Yeah, tons of parts on our cars are obviously metal to metal, but the gas tank has heavy fuel constantly sloshing back and forth.
Our cars aren't likely to be driven in constant inclement weather with snow and salt, but the rubber sheeting I used has got to add a degree of corosion protection. The reason I mention that, is my friend was working on a early '00s Chevy SUV for a customer from the Eastcoast. Pulled the gas tank and the top of it had rust holes.

lalessi1

Just a guess why Ford did it... Could it be to reduce the possibility of a friction spark in a crash? The other thing might be to control static electricity discharge during fueling.... I tend to agree that there is a good reason Ford designed them that way.
Lynn

thomasso

You delinfitly don't want the tank moving around.  My tank had a tarred paper much like that used on insides of doors on top 0f the tank.  I used rubberized cork  on top and rubber widow channel setting tape glued on straps.  Being too cheap buy a new tank I cut the whole top out of tank so I could straighten the few dents in the bottom.  MIG welded it back in, also applied wicking Locktite to the weld, no leaks yet.  Finshed with Eastwood Tanktone.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-02-27 09:01
I sure can't argue the grounding point you made, but that could be done with a grounding strap.  All I can say about the 'why insulate' is because Ford did it back when. I figure it helps keep movement of the tank/ metal to metal/ at a minumum. Yeah, tons of parts on our cars are obviously metal to metal, but the gas tank has heavy fuel constantly sloshing back and forth.
Our cars aren't likely to be driven in constant inclement weather with snow and salt, but the rubber sheeting I used has got to add a degree of corosion protection. The reason I mention that, is my friend was working on a early '00s Chevy SUV for a customer from the Eastcoast. Pulled the gas tank and the top of it had rust holes.
Rich there isn't any were on the Ranchero tank that I recall to add a ground wire, no ground and the sending unit won't work, thats why I didn't insulate it. I had holes in the top of the tank and the spare tire well was completely rusted out, I cut out both and added flat metal. There is no reason for the spare tire well, it's just there because of the wagon design. Removing the indentation on the top of the tank now gives me 21 gallon capacity..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ranch

If you are from up north where we use ice and water shield on our roofs you might be able to ask a roofer for a piece.  It's thin rubber with a sticky backing "Grace" is the popular brand around here.  You just pull the paper off to expose the sticky stuff and put it where you want it and it will stay there. Very easy to work with, just a pair of scissors.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ranch on 2018-03-18 09:19
If you are from up north where we use ice and water shield on our roofs you might be able to ask a roofer for a piece.  It's thin rubber with a sticky backing "Grace" is the popular brand around here.  You just pull the paper off to expose the sticky stuff and put it where you want it and it will stay there. Very easy to work with, just a pair of scissors.
Thanks Ranch. I live in Kentucky and I'm familiar with the product you described, and will look into using it.
John

RICH MUISE

Exactly what I used all over my car. Much cheaper than brand name stuff like dynamat, and it's very simillar if not the same.....just repackaged. You can usually buy it at roofing supply companies in different width rolls....even here in Texas! If you're just doing your gas tank as I mentioned, a similar, maybe lighter weight, product can be found at Lowe's and HD in 12" wide rolls. It's sold there as a window and door seal, intended for new construction before the siding goes on.
Just a side note: If you've had some around for a while and it's lost some of it's adhesiveness, just hit it with a heat gun. The heat will reactivate the adhesive, and I think make it even stickier. When I put it on floors, ect., I always go over it with a heat gun. It makes it easier to conform to the nooks and crannies.