News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wide whitewall experience

Started by cokefirst, 2018-03-11 16:48

Previous topic - Next topic

cokefirst

I am looking to buy a set of wide whitewall tires for my 57 Skyliner.  I am looking at Coker radials, Diamond Back or American Classic tires.  I heard that Coker had some problems with tire separation.  My car came with a set of Coker radials.  They only have about 2000 miles and one of them has a bubble in the tread area.  I like the look of the American Classic because they are a radial with a bias ply look and do come in the 800R14 size that would be correct.  Diamond Back has a 215/75R14 but nothing larger.  that size is slightly smaller in diameter than the 800 X 14 that came on the car.  Diamond Back touts their white Wall as being easy to clean and resistant to yellowing.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  What are the advantages and disadvantages of any of the three?  I will be using the stock wheels that have been blasted and powder coated.   Thanks!!
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

fordaholic

We are in the same boat as you, but with a different ride. My son is bent on having wide whites (3") on his 62 econo. pickup. We have looked at all sources but have decided to go with Diamondback. They will make what you want with 2 or 3 weeks notice. I am a firm believer, if it ain`t broke don`t fix it.  Bought redline TA`s from them a few years back and they were great. They don`t even list the tire my son wants, but will put a 3 " whitewall on a 225 70 r14 and  a warranty as well. Not cheap, but would you want to ride out front of the tires in an old econoline if they had a bubble in the tread? What ever you decide on; stay the heck away from bias ply tires even if they are free. Sorry, just my two cents.    Cheers   Gary

geraldchainsaw

i've had diamondback tires for a few years,  not sure of the years probly 5 or more,  no problems,  have the 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 white wa;llls,  would buy them again,  probly around orig size tires or a little larger

sprink88

Oh boy.  Nobody mentioned Silvertowns?  I bought a set for mine.  They are not on yet.  Hoping to start my Wilwood disc brakes then I will mount them. 

Anyone have bad experience with Silvertowns?
~Chris

cokefirst

The Silvertowns are an option too.  I never looked at them.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

lotsafords

Installed the Diamond Back's on my wife's 55 T-bird several years ago and really enjoyed them, smooth ride, easy clean white walls and never a hint of a problem even on wire wheels.  Liked them so much I purchased a set for my 66 Thunderbird and just as soon as I get our 57 Ranchero a little further along will be ordering a set for it.  Stepped up to the optional Michelin's on the Birds will probably do the same for the 57.  Also this company was a delight to do business with.
Jack

junior58

I have just put a set of Cokers on in 215/75-14, haven't done a lot of miles on them yet but so far the driving has been smooth with no hint of wobble (had heard stories of inconsistent moulding resulting in wobbles but no sign on mine).
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

djfordmanjack

I have BF Goodrich 8.00-14s WWW on the Country Sedan wagon. looking very period correct for a late 50s car. they handle great (for a 60 yr old classic car). much better than other bias ply tires I had. I found that using very low air pressure improves handling on my wagon (except for highway use). I am just running 25psi on front and 22 or so in rear.

Jeff Norwell

Diamond Back has a new bias look a like tire called the Auburn"... They seem to be a very good tire.. and have a factory look...... I friend of mine with a 32 5 window just switched out to them from a set of radials.. check them out..... but I do not think they off a 14 inch tire. only 15 and 16

https://dbtires.com/product/auburn-deluxe-radial-15-16-sizes/

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

CobraJoe

I'm apparently in the minority, I'm  running Silvertown Bias-Ply tires on mine. I've put about 2K miles on them with no problems so far.  :dontknow:

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Jeff Norwell

I am not a Bias ply hater.. I have them on all my early Fords,When the time is correct... I will have them on my 57's...I have had zero issues with any Coker products but many have with out of round tires.

CobraJoe

Jeff, that wasn't directed at you, I apologize if it came across that way. I grew up with bias-ply, so never really saw the big deal with running them, but apparently some people do. Bias-ply tires have thicker sidewalls and handle sidewall damage better than a radial. Radials provide better traction and handling.
     It's a matter of picking what's right for you, if you want period correct, authentic car, personally, I think bias ply is your choice. Sure they may wander, but that's what I remember from these old cars and trucks. If "authentic" doesn't matter, and you want a smoother riding car that doesn't follow the low side or ruts in the road, by all means go radial.

Just my $0.02
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

Joe I have had cars with Radials and still do, but I have used bias ply tires on about every car I owned as well. with lots of long distance driving experience over the past 20 years I found that most bias ply tires can be driven at very low tire pressure. usually Coker might emphasize on 35+psi, which is totally awkward taking into consideration the inflation recommended by factory in the 1950s, which might be around 25to 28 psi. talking from my experience and using bias ply equipped cars on a daily basis in both dry and wet 40 to 100 degree weather ( no snow or below freezing), lower tire pressure has improved on handling characteristics. I have also found that with road problems a bias ply equipped car will need a 'loose steering wheel'. By that I mean that you just have to let the car find its own path and not trying to steer it all the time. If you try to always redirect your car, you will end up shaking from side to side like crazy, like the drivers in the old 1940s movies ( where they obviously weren't driving for real and possibly the steering gears were worn as well :003:).
I let my '57 and '34 head their way with a light, but not tight grip on the wheel. They need about estimated 5 or 10 " side to side, following the road. Never ever has one of them wanted to roll off the road or even change lanes. IMHO I love bias ply tires. I love the BF Goodriches on my 57CS and obviously they handle equally as nice on your Fairlane.

Jeff, the new Auburn tires do look good, but they will always be Radials. They are very close to real bias ply tires, like the latest Coker radial/bias ply lookalikes. Still, the tread width and sidewall do look different. probably a great tire on a huge fendered 1940s car with dubious suspension characteristics, but I think I wouldn't want them on a fenderless rod or on my 57 Ford. But who knows.... :001:

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2018-07-11 19:38
     Jeff, that wasn't directed at you, I apologize if it came across that way. I grew up with bias-ply, so never really saw the big deal with running them, but apparently some people do. Bias-ply tires have thicker sidewalls and handle sidewall damage better than a radial. Radials provide better traction and handling.
     It's a matter of picking what's right for you, if you want period correct, authentic car, personally, I think bias ply is your choice. Sure they may wander, but that's what I remember from these old cars and trucks. If "authentic" doesn't matter, and you want a smoother riding car that doesn't follow the low side or ruts in the road, by all means go radial.

Just my $0.02

Joe.. gosh no!. no offence taken...I too (As well as Guenther) like a bias on my trad. cars.I agree with Guenther on the new Auburn tires.....  I was just passing info on what I have heard.
Some love radials. some love bias..... It's a personal choice.
I plan to run a bias on every car one day and keep the radials set aside for certain trips and runs,..... I love everything about 57 Fords except the 14 inch rim... I prefer a 15 because of the better choice available .....Saying that.... I have heard and seen many horror stories of products from Coker.... from their Radial and Bias products..... A very good friend bought their Radials.. a WWW product and he could not drive them over 40mph.... I have seen nothing ever bad from Diamond Back.
I have bought many Coker products,(Firestone,General and Silvertowns)... never had any issues.... I must be lucky.....or just a good installer that understands an older tire.