News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

temp gage & over heating

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2008-07-12 19:34

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

as u all know, i've been messing with the gage and everything else that goes with it.   the latest,  i met a guy yesterday that has had his 57 since the day it came on the market,   & we talked about over heating,   now al;ot of guys have given me things to try which i've done,   but yesterday the guy told me to put the resistor in line right after the hookup  at the sending gage,  which i did and i just finished taking it for a ride, i couldn't get the needle on the dash to go past E but my dial gage said it was 200, so now i know what a resistor will do, maybe i'll take it out and c what it reads without one,  can always go put it back in line,   anyway it now has a 7 lb cap & it still dosen't boil over,   guess i'll just keep playing until i get what i want,  but then again monday i go in for a full knee replacement, so it will b awhile before i drive again,  but i can still get on the comp,     Jerry

Marc

Good luck with the knee replacement Jerry. I've been running a 7 lb cap & 180 deg thermostat for years with no problems. The 13 lb cap kept blowing out the top tank seam. My gauge reads around 180, higher in slow traffic.

wolfpupsdad

best of luck with your knee jerry surgery, hope all comes out ok.

57 Ford Kustom

Jerry :006:
   Good luck on your knee. When you get back out and working on your car ,run it up to temp and use one of those heat sensor guns to see what the temp really is.

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

smurfee

Best of luck with the knee, you can always use your cane to push the gas pedal like I did :booty: :icon_bigsmurf: :unitedstates: SMURFEE
NEVER LOOK BACK

shopratwoody

Jerry,
Good Luck with your knee operation. Hope it turns out well. I got one in 2001.
Ron  :unitedstates:
I hate blocksanding!

JimNolan

Jerry,
    Good luck with your knee surgury. I worked on the CNC machines at Zimmer for 20 years. Zimmer makes knees and hips etc. Most of the people that get knees have come to the point that they can't even walk without being in horrific pain. You'll think you have died and gone to heaven after a few months. I've had people thank me for helping to build those knees.
   By the way, 10 ohms. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

I worked at Ontario Forge in Muncie years ago.  They made forgings for Zimmer.  What a coincidence.

John

geraldchainsaw

got out of the hosp,  went in on a monday & was out on a wednesday,   right now i'm in pain but it gets better every day,    Jim u should have said u worked withd CNC,   i probly hav e a set in my knees now,    as for the 10 ohms,   it knocked my gage down to the E mark on the temp gage,  might b a while before i get to work on the cars again,   all i do is sit around

wolfpupsdad

glad to hear your out jerry and all is going well. the car aint goin nowhere so take it easy and get back to it when ya can.
bill

JimNolan

Jerry,
   Glad to hear you're out of the hospital. They do wonders when it comes to implants now. They use to cut your knee joint open, throw your leg back next to your ear and pound the implant in with a mallet. I almost puked when I saw the film of a knee operation. Now, they call it " less evasive surgury ".
   Zimmer has it's own operating room where they train doctors to do surgery now. They use cadavors for this purpose.
   When you get better, try putting two of those ten ohm resisters together in parallel. That's two resisters laid side by side with the wires twisted together at the ends. If you use it that way, you have 5 ohms. See what that does to the gauge. Also, quit calling it the " E " mark. You're driving me crazy.
  If you'd bring your car down to me, I'd put a rheostat on it, find out exactly what resistance you needed and install the correct amount of resistance in-line with the temperature sensor.
   Anyway, glad the operation went OK, make them wait on you hand and foot and know that soon you'll be able to leap tall building in a single bound without pain in your knees. See ya, Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.