Will a 1 ton cherry picker safely lift a 2 dr custom body?

Started by terry_208, 2018-04-04 22:12

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

As stated above, will a 1 ton cherry picker lift a stripped out 2 dr custom body?  By stripped out, I mean, just the shell without anything attached.  Does anyone know the weight of a body shell?  I'm still quite a distance from setting my body on the frame but I'm trying to plan ahead.
Terry

gasman826

It has the capacity to handle the weight.  Safely, no.  The center of gravity would be high and the footprint small and narrow.  Now that I've reduced my liability, I've seen pictures of pickers being used to lift a body.  A custom, arched boom was made because the standard boom would pinch the roof.

RICH MUISE

I used an engine hoist to get my body off the frame, but I did one end at a time. I used the body mount locations with big screw eyes. Tedious back and forth operation, but can be done. That's what us hot rodders do, right?
Are you talking about a 2 ton lift that's down to 1 ton when the boom is extended? If you're asking about one that starts at 1 ton with the boom all the way in, maybe not.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

I was thinking of a custom lift arm/boom, starting with a one ton total capacity cherry picker to suspend and move the entire body.

When I removed the body from the frame, I jacked the car up, blocked the body and then lowered the frame.  I was thinking that being able to move the body above the frame may make the re-installation easier.

Thanks for the thoughts and comments.  The more info gathered makes decisions easier.
Terry

gasman826