News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Fairlane gold trim

Started by chapingo17, 2018-04-22 12:56

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

Has anyone tried to restore the gold trim? Or is there any way to restore it while in the car? Any special technique?

RICH MUISE

Eric, as far as I have heard, attempts to have them restored/replated have not been too successful. From my machine shop days, I remember annodizing pennetrates the surface an equal amount to the buildup, which I think makes it difficult to strip on a consistant basis. Repops are available, though a bit pricey.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

chapingo17

I know they are a little pricey that why I asked.

57chero

I tried several times on multiple pieces of trim with every kind of gold paint out there, nothing looked right except for one it was a shiny gold plating looking spray paint it looked good as long as you didn't touch it, it would rub off on your finger like a gold dust so I clear coated it and it changed the whole effect of the color. I had a set anodized gold I thought I gave them a pretty good set to start with when I got them back you could see every little wave and a few bends that weren't there when I gave them to them, that's the problem they bend really easy and it shows up from a mile away. I gave up and spent the big bucks for a reproduction a set from Burtons.

Lou

About 20 years ago I restored a 57 and for the gold trim I went to an art supply store and found some gold foil paper that closely matched the 57 gold trim. I glued the paper to the old gold panels them sprayed 3 coats of clear coat on all sides making sure the edges were sealed.  I sold the car about 10 years ago and the gold still looked good even after I had been caught in the rain 3 or 4 times.

Ecode70D

In the late 80's I painted that gold trim on my 58 Ford with spray can gold that matched real good.  It remained nice for years.  The car has been sold and I see it occasionally at car cruises. .