News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Timing Jump

Started by jwag, 2018-04-29 18:14

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Just a word of warning, we had a big post on the Y block forum about the problems guys are having with CARDONE rebuilt units. Apparently they are using Y block housings and installing SBF shafts due to the shortage of Y block shafts. These SBF shafts are about 1/2" short and barely reach the oil pump drive and locate the gear in the wrong dimension for proper mesh with the cam gear. They are selling these on Ebay and at parts suppliers like NAPA..

I just built one distributor from parts of two ( COAF ) and made a discovery about the oil cap and hole to nowhere but thats another story for another day  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Jim, that sounds awful...

I was referring to oem FoMoCo replacements from the 1970s, that have a SBF housing but Y block compatible inner parts.

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2018-07-28 17:23
Jim, that sounds awful...

I was referring to oem FoMoCo replacements from the 1970s, that have a SBF housing but Y block compatible inner parts.
DJ, I'm pretty sure the late 60's Y dizzy that had the O ring seal is the same housing they used for the SBF.. only difference is shaft length.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Jim , exactly my thinking. I have  289, 302 and 351 sbf and that housing on the late Y dizzy sure looks the same ! just a longer shaft.

hiball3985

Just guessing at history but I think they just did a simple change to the casting for the O ring and decided they could use it in the early 221 and 260 and Y and only have to change shaft length and gear position and then continued using it on the later 289/302..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang