News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tool for removing "dog dish" hub caps on deeper wheels.

Started by 59meteor, 2018-06-24 16:57

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

I just picked up my wheels from the body shop for paint, they look terrific now, in 57 Starmist Blue,but the rear wheels (15x8" Wheel Vintique series 62 steel, stock looking wheels) are a fair bit deeper than either the factory wheels, or my new fronts (15X6" Wheel Vintiques 62s). My concern is how will I be able to remove the factory "dog dish" hubcaps from the 8" wide wheels, without damaging the new paint? I have some plastic hooked trim panel tools, but doubt they will be strong enough to pop off the hub caps. Any thoughts?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Hoosier Hurricane

How about a brake adjusting "spoon" with a bit of plastic or rubber to protect your paint?   John

Ecode70D

Quote from: Hoosier Hurricane on 2018-06-24 17:07
How about a brake adjusting "spoon" with a bit of plastic or rubber to protect your paint?   John

John 
     That's pretty cool.  I like that idea.
Jay

Ranch

Yes you might be able to try that "Dip It" comes in colors.  I think it was originally meant to dip the handles of tools in to help you find your Pliers etc. in your buddy's tool box.  I've seen Electricians use it for insulating handles and screwdriver shanks...... Bill

rmk57

Hook on to it and pull.....

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Hoosier Hurricane

Another idea, try a toilet plunger.   John

RICH MUISE

no no no
lol, John.........................I've read what's got to be hundreds of good suggestions from you over the years. This may be the first that ain't one of them. The vision of trying to do it is funny as heck though. ;)
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

I use the original tire tool on mine, but it is a pain to do! I protect the wheels with a folded towel. It REALLY helps to know where the "nubs" are. My caps are slightly distorted on the inside lip so it helps to line up the cap with the "nubs".
Lynn

Hoosier Hurricane

Rich, you got me.  Bad idea.  I had a vision in my mind that the plunger and the dog dish were close enough together in diameter.  It ain't so.  I compared the two today, the plunger would contact the cover in the area where the raised FORD letters are.  Can't form a vacuum that way.  If you could see my face you would notice that it is RED.  I did see a body man pull a non-creased dent out of a door with one once.   John

SkylinerRon

Heat up a large screwdriver with a torch and bend the last 1" to 90*, let cool......

Ron.

RICH MUISE

John.........I actually wasn't even thinking of the area not being smooth for a seal, I was thinking more along the lines of if you could exert enough pressure on that area to pop it loose (don't think one could), it would possibly distort the cap. Also, pulling from that area would  increase the grip on the outer edges. I was having visions of me trying it, only to have the cap fly off the plunger and thru a window.
I checked the archives for proper use of a toilet plunger to back up my theory, but to no avail, so maybe my criticism is unwarranted, lol.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe