News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

brake pedal

Started by Charter, 2018-06-28 09:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Charter

I replaced the bushings for the brake pedal. Some thing is missing. the bushings pop out when the bolt moves one way or the other. The replacement bushings are only for the pedal frame. I cut down the original bushing to fit just the pedal and made the spring bushing from a paint can cap. I am thinking a piece of hose and a flat washer could solve it as a temp fix. What is missing to prevent the bolt from moving side to side ?

Charter

Is this the wrong bolt ? It's a 1/2 inch to long or is there something missing ?

59meteor

Maybe 57s are different, but on my 59 Ford, the brake pedal pivots on a steel pin that goes thru the pedal bracket, and the brake pedal, and has a clip on the end. When I converted the 59 from an automatic to a 4 speed, using factory clutch linkage, the pin is removed, as the clutch pedal has a pin attatched to it, which takes place of the seperate pin from the automatic. Maybe somebody jury rigged some home made affair for the brake pedal.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.