News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

parking lites

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2018-10-06 18:42

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasso

These park light housing are prone to lose the ground at the socket crimp and this could be the cause of your problem as the ground can feed back thru the other wire.  When you get the housing out solder a ground wire directly to the socket and run to a good ground point, I just ran mine to the mounting stud but if you do away with them you'll have to find another point of ground.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

RICH MUISE

"I just ran mine to the mounting stud"
Exactly what I did...(my entire car is wired as though it was a fiberglass car..nothing is grounded to the body or frame).  I realize it's only been a few years, but I've had no electrical issues, and I think the grounding system has alot to do with that.
For the parking  lamps, I ran a wire with round terminal from the Parking lamp housing mounting bolt to my front grounding terminal strip. I should have remembered that when I suggested the housings were held on with sheet metal screws.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

geraldchainsaw

ok,  update.     turn  signal and parking lite works.    now i'll tell u how i did it  and don't know why it works now,   ground off the studs,  lite is laying on fender i turn on turn signal,  its giving a little flicker,  i push it against the grill and its a bright lite flashing like its brand new,  so it mush have been aground,  so i drill mounting holes for screws and it works like it should now,  still  don't know what i did,  because when it was mounted i had drilled and use mtl screws and nothing changed,  o well,  it works and i'm done.    thanks for all the info and help ,   now i can sit back and watch tv all winter.    jerry

RICH MUISE

now i can sit back and watch tv all winter.
I see you're prepared..........got the TV remote on your console, lol!
Glad you got your problem fixed. If you read thru a Ron Francis catalog that includes tons of electrical info, almost every page has........"if something electrical is acting strange, check your grounds". They keep emphasizing over and over the fact that 80% of electrical problems are bad grounds.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

first sentence in first reply as well  :003:

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2018-10-07 16:32
I see that your convertible is fully restored, but sometimes it is just bad ground because of surface rust or perfect new seals.

glad it worked out for you !

Tom S

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2018-10-09 02:50
or make do with how Tom just drilled and drove seperate small screws.

Hmm, WTH did my post go?
Oh!
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=7636.msg65731#msg65731