Removing the stock Wiper System. Which holes can I weld up?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2018-10-15 05:43

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I'm installing a Wiper System from Specialty Power Windows, that eliminates the stock cable driven system. My question is which holes on the Cowl / Firewall that are related to the stock wiper system can I weld up for a smoother, cleaner look. MY Ranchero came to me in boxes, so I did not take it apart, and have no first hand knowledge of what goes where. I think I understand what some of these holes are for, but would like to hear from you guys that know exactly what holes are for what.
As I'm computer challenged, Cobra Joe, has offered to post the photos of my Cowl/Firewall. Thanks Joe
Thanks
John

Ecode70D

In my opinion, I would install the new system first, even if it is just finger tight or temporary.  Then you can get a better idea of what holes to weld up.

KYBlueOval

Good point. Car is completely apart. The kit is essentially installed, and all of it mounts inside the car. The two transmission shafts are accessible through the cowl vent. I'm very confident in filling the now, unused wiper related holes. I'm just not positive as to exactly which ones are wiper related.
Thanks for your reply.
John

gasman826

Plug 'em all.

KYBlueOval

Gary.........I was hoping you would weigh in on this. When CobraJoe gets the photos posted would you take another look please and confirm what holes stay and what holes get welded up.
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

How "clean" do you want it? I only left the hood bumper threaded holes. Filled in all the caveties, big holes for heater,etc. Like Gary said.........you can fill them all if you're removing the old wiper system, except  at this point you need to decide if you want to eliminate the hood latch and go with hood pins..........alot of that will depend on the look you want for your Ranchero. If you don't, leave those bolt holes. If you do, you can also fill in that big recess for a cleaner look.
I used the hood bumper threaded inserts for the hood pins. NM show pic shows the hood pins. I found some with the same thread as the hood bumper bolts, and slipped two hood bumpers down over the pins. Worked perfectly.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

You need to keep the 2 square holes with the encapsulated nuts also. Those are the fender mounts. The passenger side in Joe's pic is missing the nut.
Not sure what the 3/4" or so holes are on the ends of the cowl..........probably wiper access. I think I had 26 holes and cavaties /recessed areas I filled on mine.
Funny, I have had words I know I spelled wrong, but the spellcheck doesn't find them.

CobraJoe

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-10-15 15:59
You need to keep the 2 square holes with the encapsulated nuts also. Those are the fender mounts. The passenger side in Joe's pic is missing the nut.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

Right on the ball, Joe. Thanks.
I assume those are John's pics that you are posting for him. If so, John, somebody (maybe you) has already filled in the big heater hole at least in the top half of the cowl. Looks like the void of the spot weld flange has been filled in also. Had I to do mine over again, because of the tight fit of my 4.6's  throttle body, I would have removed that flange altogether.

CobraJoe

lol, yes they are John's pics and my pleasure. Glad I could help   :003:

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

KYBlueOval

Thanks Rich. Yes I have that caged nut......just have not put it in. What about the other holes? A hood bumper goes in the threaded  round piece on each side, I believe.
If you know, what about the Triangular shaped recessed area with 3 holes, the large round hole to the right of the triangle recessed area,and the rounded corners, rectangular hole just above the triangular recessed area. I think they are all wiper related and can be welded up...........looking for confirmation. Same for the rounded corner rectangular hole on the passenger side cowl.
As I'm typing this replies are coming in. Yes I will keep the stock hood lock and the hood bumpers. I plan on all the unnecessary and unused holes be welded up.But since I didn't take it apart I'm a little uncertain as to what all of these holes are for.
Any help identifying what they are there for would be appreciated.
John

RICH MUISE

Yes, all that stuff you mentioned can be welded up. The triangular recesses I believe are where the wiper pulleys mounted. As I mentioned, not sure what the 3/4 holes on the ends are for. Once the fender is on, you can't access them, so doesn't make sense they were for wiper maintenance, ??
Maybe someone who still has all that stuff, and assembled, can verify what those holes are for. The cowl had a baffle plate inside on the passenger end, and that may be what some of the small holes are for, or possible heater access or mounting holes. I never had the factory heater, so not sure what, if anything, was inside the cowl. I think it was just an opening for fresh air from the cowl.
Nice talking with you, John. I meant to ask, I know your son that you're gonna be visiting lives west of FW, have you checked out the 50's style diner in Bridgeport? I met the owners at a car show/route 66 festival in Shamrock this summer.
Is that 351 you have for the Ranchero fuel injected? If so, where is the throttle body? If it's to the rear like mine, you may consider removing the spot weld flange on the cowl/firewall.

lalessi1

Those round holes under the fender on my car have rubber plugs from the factory maybe they are for windshield washer hoses? The large round hole with the 4 sheet metal screw hole on the drivers side is an access/inspection hole for the wiper cables, the oval holes have rubber plugs and they facilitate the wiper cable assembly. The triangle pattern holes are where the cable pivot brackets bolt on, the passenger side is on the top of the cowl the driver side is on the firewall face. The heater opening at the top is for fresh air intake with the factory installed heater, it is not used on the dealer installed heater.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

"Those round holes under the fender on my car have rubber plugs from the factory maybe they are for windshield washer hoses? "
good thought,Lynn............does anybody know where the oem washer nozzles were located? I'm remembering nozzles/tubes that were mounted on the outside of the cowl with long formed nozzles that came up between the hood and cowl vent cover. I just don't remember what car those were on, lol.