News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My Ranchero Resurrection

Started by KYBlueOval, 2018-10-27 11:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

John, Thanks for the pictures of the floors and panel work. I am doing my rockers and floors at this time, this is of great help and motivation. My friend moved to Georgia, and I convinced him he should leave his rotisserie with me! Now I can spot weld panels in place, and finish them later. Great job!

gasman826

GOT to have a rotisserie!!!

terry_208

Quote from: gasman826 on 2020-03-31 13:56
GOT to have a rotisserie!!!

I just noticed, it appears as though your package tray is solid.  Is that correct?  Mine has the indents cut out.
Terry

gasman826

Some safety inspections require solid metal between the passenger compartment and the trunk...especially with battery relocated to the trunk.  Not a race car but I might roll it through the lights sometime.  So, yes, the sub package tray area and behind the rear seat are solid.  This is also prep for '65 Thunderbird package tray.

Frankenstein57

Does the new seam sealer you are using have strength properties, like panel bond? Or is it strictly a sealer?

KYBlueOval

It has limited strength properties............we glued two pieces of primed sheet metal together using it and it bonded very well, but could be twisted apart. IMO, if you are wanting the strength of the panel bond, which I'm told contains some anti corrosive chemicals, then the seam sealer is not the correct product.
I'll add that the seam sealer was applied over 2K primer and the panel bond is applied to bare metal.
Does that answer your question?
John

RICH MUISE

Panel bond can be applied to bare metal OR (epoxy) primer. Keep in mind that replacement panels for the newer cars come from the factory/supplier already with a coat of something (usually black that I've seen), and panel bond is the common way to attach them.
Mark....that really nice finish that John got on his seams using the seam sealer can be done as well with panel bond.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

Thanks, I was thinking these products could reduce the number of welds, or the lengths of the welds.

KYBlueOval

Progress!
The bottom was painted yesterday along with the portion of the fire wall below the seam. The color is a Corvette color. Goes by different names for different years. Fusion Gray or Shark Metallic Gray.The paint code is   WA-400Y. The inside of the fenders were painted first with RAPTOR, to help prevent "Starring" from stones. Body should be coming home soon. It has been a long journey to this point and a lot more in front of me.
John

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

Ford Blue blood

John it is almost a shame that the bottom will be out of sight!  Nice work!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Looks beautiful John! It appears to be a very similar color to mine!? Looking forward to the topside pics in paint.
I assume from the "body coming home" statement, it is at a body shop or other place not home, and it is coming home for assembly prior to topside paint?........or all being painted now prior to assembly?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Rich, the color is close to yours. I believe that the metallic gray will highlight the polished Stainless trim.
Yes, the body has been 35 miles away for sometime. The plan is to bring it home , get it on the frame and then assemble it, make it work, function, drive etc, and then finish the painting.
I just don't want to be fitting freshly painted doors and fenders for the first time.It's more work for me, but it is the route I wish to take.
John

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2020-08-10 06:36
John it is almost a shame that the bottom will be out of sight!  Nice work!

The only person that will see it is...............The person I run over!

mustang6984

Small steps of progress are as enjoyable as the big ones! I'll just be happy to start working on mine again!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker