News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Seat belt question

Started by Ecode70D, 2018-10-28 18:26

Previous topic - Next topic

SkylinerRon

Those are C0AZ belts 60-64.  Although they will fit earlier cars the belt material is not correct for 57.  The early belts were heavier and of a more course
texture.

Ron.

djfordmanjack

Yes The C0---codes is visible on the boxes. I was just posting this for reference of the open belt ends. And they are a bargain... :002:

JimNolan

The one picture of the seat belts with the end enclosed with a metal shield makes a nice finished product. I'd never seen that. When you guys get on a subject you pretty well leave no questions to be asked.
One thing I was going to add. I'm big and fat and I had to go to a different steering wheel with less dish and I modified my seat runners to go back 1" than original. As far as I'm concerned the seat belt for me would have no safety feature since the steering wheel is almost into my stomach now. And, as far as the $1200 price tag is concerned " it depends on how bad you want them". That's coming from a guy that spent $375 for a set of NOS drivers side floor brackets. And yes, I'd do it again. At a car show no one will notice those seat belt brackets but me. But, I'm the guy I've got to please.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

djfordmanjack

the metal cap on the belt ends looks like folded metal. It looks as if it has some dimples on the inside which are possibly 'teeth', bent at 90 degrees which lock the metal in the belt. BTW, Jay, I am sure that this is something that you could easily fabricate from thin stainless or aluminium sheet metal and it would be a great winter project for the basement shop.
I can totally understand the point where somebody would like to have those rare accessory seat belt anchors or even a NOS set of belts. my mind crunches at the thought that you can get a good quality new set from Wesco at below $30, custom color, chromed aviation style buckle and all, while somebody would be willing to spend $1200 for the OEM set ? that is a lot of money. But they do look extremely good, that's for sure! I am also dedicated to factory stuff and have probably spent a fortune on NOS 57 parts myself.

djfordmanjack

I talked to Jay in a private mail about this but I want to inlcude it here, for the record. Maybe some of you would like to try aviation safety belts as well. they are wider and some have the coarse old texture.

my email to Jay
Quotewhat you could do Jay is look for military or aviation surplus. aviation belts must be replaced every 10 years or so by expiration date. there are many - like new- belts on the market, which have expired. I am talking about simple 2 point belts in a Cessna or private plane. They are made from the old thick and coarse material and they are wide. You should go ask Dick about that and I am sure he knows perfectly well where the old stuff gets sold off locally.
Many Hot rodders use expired aviation belts and they are often grey color. That would be a great idea for your application!

djfordmanjack

this is the stuff I am talking about. there are literally hundreds out there at a good price and with awesome texture and buckles.

$39 a pair, 1961

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-1961-1962-Cessna-Tan-Seat-Lap-Belt-Belts-P-N-S-1060/192433178299?hash=item2ccde946bb:g:kMcAAOSw1zhaY3i-:rk:59:pf:0&vxp=mtr

hiball3985

Quote from: JimNolan on 2018-10-30 08:18
The one picture of the seat belts with the end enclosed with a metal shield makes a nice finished product. I'd never seen that. When you guys get on a subject you pretty well leave no questions to be asked.
One thing I was going to add. I'm big and fat and I had to go to a different steering wheel with less dish and I modified my seat runners to go back 1" than original. As far as I'm concerned the seat belt for me would have no safety feature since the steering wheel is almost into my stomach now. And, as far as the $1200 price tag is concerned " it depends on how bad you want them". That's coming from a guy that spent $375 for a set of NOS drivers side floor brackets. And yes, I'd do it again. At a car show no one will notice those seat belt brackets but me. But, I'm the guy I've got to please.
Jim, while lap belts won't keep you out of the steering wheel, they will keep you in the car. I remember the early days when people were thrown out.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim
     I know full well what you are saying.  Jay

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2018-10-30 13:52
Jim
     I know full well what you are saying.  Jay
Jay, I'm sure you saw more then your share of those results. Worst I saw was driving into the Grand Canyon and a Mercedes that ejected 6 people. No cell phones back then and had to drive 15-20 miles to a phone to call for help.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Lou

When I needed seatbelts for my 56 I found then at a local airport they were an exact match to the factory belts, i don't know if the 57 are the same but it might be worth a look.

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2018-10-30 14:11
Jay, I'm sure you saw more then your share of those results.

That's correct Jim..   I was assigned to the fatal accident section.  My auto body skills really came in handy on accident reconstruction. 
       Lou... There is a small airport in the next town to me and it's only about a 10 minute drive.  I'm going to drive over there and see what I can find for aviation lap belts.  There has to be someone that has something .   I never even gave this place much thought until Guenter all the way across the pond put the bug in my bonnet, and it is just around the corner.

djfordmanjack

Good thing is, that you even have an aviator friend at that local airport, who is also into vintage cars. I am sure these guys can point you in the right direction for the belts. If not, I am sure there are business and shops out there specializing in aviation surplus. and the www classifieds are full of it.
In my first Model A hot rod I had the rear passenger bench seat (riveted aluminium) and full lap belts out of a real Bell UH1 helicopter. thats the type they used in Vietnam.
come to think of it, I still have a spare of those belt assemblies, I guess. but WHERE ?....

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2018-10-31 04:01
Good thing is, that you even have an aviator friend at that local airport, who is also into vintage cars. come to think of it, I still have a spare of those belt assemblies, I guess. but WHERE ?....

Guenter
    Are you saying that you are starting to put things away and can't find them?  Welcome to the club.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out that our aviator friend has a few sets of seat belts in his collection of stuff. If they have to remove the seat belts periodically, you know that he wouldn't throw the old ones away.  When we visited him, we were too busy looking at his cars and car parts and never concentrated on his planes.  Seems like he had about 5 of them and two or three hangars.  I'm going to call him today.

djfordmanjack

Jay I am not sure if the expiration date is mandatory in privately owned airframes (in the US). Sure is due on military and business planes.

JimNolan

I don't think seat belts had a date replacement. ELT, Radio equipment etc. were time sensitive though. Upholstery had to meet fireproof specifications. Never heard anything about seat belts on a private aircraft needing inspection.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.