News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Seat belt question

Started by Ecode70D, 2018-10-28 18:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I took these seat belt brackets out of a donor 57 Ford parts car that I had a few years ago.  After I clean up and refurbish them,  I want to install them in my 57 Ford.  The question is How do I attach seat belts to these brackets?  It seems like in the old days, the ends of the belts got wrapped around the brackets and woven through some sort of a flat plate with slots in it.
     I know that I can just drill holes in the floor and bolt seat belts through them,  but that's not what I want to do.  Any and all help would be appreciated.  Thanks Jay   

hiball3985

Jay, I think they used this type of attachment on the end of the belt.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

JimNolan

After I installed my brackets I just ordered longer belts than I needed, cut the ends off and heated the nylon until it melted and smoothed it out. I used the flat plates as the original configuration did. The question I would have is " why go to the expense and trouble to use original brackets if you didn't plan on using the original belt mounting.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

Jim, I read his question as he wanting to do an oem mounting/assembly and is looking for info on how that was done.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-10-29 10:01
Jim, I read his question as he wanting to do an oem mounting/assembly and is looking for info on how that was done.
OK, I thought the question was how to attach the seat belts to the original type brackets? I'm on my way to my father-in-laws funeral and maybe not thinking straight.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Isn't that what I said, lol? maybe not. I think he want to use the original brackets and attach the belting in the original manner.
Sorry about your father in law, Jim. My condolences to you and your wife.

Ecode70D

Jim
     I intend to use the original floor mounting  brackets that I have.  I will order longer belts like you stated and that's a good idea of cutting the end pieces off and using heat to melt the ends together instead of stitching them.  That brings me back to the question about the plates.   I don't remember what they look like or where to get some.  I will need 4 of them , or if I had just one of them. I would try to make a set  .  Did you take a picture of yours before you installed them ? 

Thanks Jay

Ray

If you need a template for the front seat brackets, let me know. I can mail you a copy. Also, the tunnel brackets don't fit on a convertible, The backings just don't fit under the tunnel. The original belts used a chrome buckle to hold them in place. I see them on e-bay every once and a while. The crazy Iowa guy has a set up for $450.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

RICH MUISE

Jay, if I read Jim's post correctly, he used the heat on the ends to keep the fabric from fraying, not as a replacement for the sewing. Much like I do when I cut plastic or neoprene rope.....melt the ends with a cigarette lighter.
What I'm thinking about typing that, is the late model cars that are sewn together after the belt passes thru the loop.

Ecode70D

Ray
    I had no idea that the that the tunnel brackets could not be used on a convertible.
    I would very much like to have a template of the front seat belt brackets.  I will send you a PM with my contact information.   If you actually have one of those plates , would you please give me all the measurements just in case I am not able to find a set and have t o make them. 
Thank you very much. Jay

JimNolan

Here is a drawing of what I'm talking about. I couldn't find a picture of one on ebay. I guess they aren't as plentiful as I thought. They are thick chrome plated steel. You just thread the belt thru the slots one way, loop the belt into the floor mounted brackets and back thru this bracket. A belt with sewed ends will be a tight fit and the sewed end really isn't nessecary.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

CobraJoe

Jim, when you drew the picture it reminded me of the Simpson Racing harness adjustment pieces we used to use, they are called 2" Wide 3 Bar Slides; they also come in 3"

Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/RaceQuip-700085-Wide-Bar-Slide/dp/B004QMJ8SS

This is some of their other hardware that we used to use if it helps:

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

djfordmanjack

Jay this set is advertised on ebay as oem 56-63 FoMOCO eqpt.
obviously the ends have no loops or sewing whatsoever. indicating to what our knowledgable guys have stated above.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1956-1957-1958-1959-1960-1961-1963-Ford-Galaxie-Blue-Seat-Belts-OEM-FoMoCo/311846465791?epid=754646640&hash=item489b7f70ff:g:JnAAAOSwIWVY-N3L

RICH MUISE

1200.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And shipping not included. All ya can do is laugh.

Ecode70D

WOW!   Only $1200.   What's happening?   Are those people serious?
Jim   Thank for the drawing.   That's what I had in mind.  It was not my imagination.
Joe   Thanks for the link and now I know the proper name is Bar slides.   
Hiball Jim  The boys found the plates that I need.  I'm very sorry to hear about your father in law.