News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Valley pan color - 1957 312

Started by jhicks5, 2018-11-20 19:17

Previous topic - Next topic

jhicks5

What is the factory correct color of the valley pan on a '57 D code 312?   Engine red or black?  Mine was black, but everything I have found suggests it was supposed to be red.  This engine had been rebuilt before so it is possible the prior owner painted it black.  Thanks.

Hoosier Hurricane

Engine color is correct.   John

Ecode70D

Quote from: Hoosier Hurricane on 2018-11-21 05:45
Engine color is correct.   John

X2 what John stated about color.
    Those Y block valley covers are prone to leaking.  Hopefully someone will chime in with suggestions.   

Ford Blue blood

A very thin coat of Permatex non hardening sealer on both sides of the gasket, none on the edges, and do not over tighten.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

jhicks5

Thanks for the help.  I read a few other threads about the risks of over-tightening.  I read 2-3 ft/lbs was enough.  Is that enough? 

Hoosier Hurricane

After you install the pan, sit the intake manifold on and use a feeler gauge or a piece of light cardboard to make sure the intake doesn't sit on the front pan bolt.  If it hits, there's a good chance you'll have a leaky intake gasket or even a broken front ear of the manifold.  Don't ask me how I know this.  John