Who all here have shaved there doors, need to ask questions please.

Started by johns2000, 2019-02-23 14:12

Previous topic - Next topic

johns2000

For those here that have shaved your door handles and use poppers, did you leave the inside handle mechanism attached or do you use the fob to open door from inside to get out also?

If I leave the inside handle rod attached the solenoid doesn't want to over come the interior handle spring. otherwise they would work great.

gasman826

bigger solenoids or lighter spring...I'm not sure I would want to be in a car that I have to look for fob to get out in a hurry.

RICH MUISE

or find out the fob battery went dead. Disaster waiting to happen.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

johns2000

RICH MUISE

No, not me. As mentioned, too many potential problems. Honestly can't remember anyone on this forum doing it.

gasman826

calling us out!  Yes but not on '57...'30s and '40s door latches are so bad that latch updates are common.  So shaving outer handles goes with the latch update.  I considered shaving on my '57 but I decided a little chrome was necessary and '50s door handles are way cooler than late model paddle handles.

thomasso

Shaved outside handles on a 68 Fairlane.  Used overdrive solenoids, work great, but overdrive solenoids are too expensive these days.  Don't know how strong the ones in the kits are.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

johns2000

Quote from: thomasso on 2019-02-24 12:11
Shaved outside handles on a 68 Fairlane.  Used overdrive solenoids, work great, but overdrive solenoids are too expensive these days.  Don't know how strong the ones in the kits are.

Thanks Thomasso, I think the solenoids I have are pretty strong can't remember but 60 lbs sounds right. I've see many cars without inside door handles so I guess it's not that big of a deal and the fob is your keychain so always near by.

Ford Blue blood

Starter solenoids were used "back in the day".  Chevy starters were the common source for the solenoids.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Tom S

Quote from: gasman826 on 2019-02-24 08:32
'50s door handles are way cooler than late model paddle handles.
Don't know if they are cooler but they sure do work better.
In the cold the door seal will freeze the door shut on the 1990 car that I've got.  You can only get the ends of about 3 fingers on the handle & that door will not move. If it had a real handle I could put enough force on it to slightly wiggle it enough to get it to break loose at the times that it's really froze hard. It's bad enough when it ain't froze shut that bad. I've actually had to use a tool to pry the damn thing open a couple times.  Not good.  The damn power windows freeze shut too. >:(

ragtop

have done around 10 cars leave all the mechanism in place just took off outer door  handle the solenoid goes down one the door and a cable goes up to the paddle that the out side door handle wood hit on you need to put a pully on top for cable I use one from a bike like a 10speed bike and drill a hole in the paddle for the cable over the pully and down to solenoid to clear the window also I remove the vent window lock pin so if battery goes dead I can get in with a credit card

RICH MUISE

So, Ragtop, if i'M UNDERSTANDING YOU CORRECTLY, YOU ARE (oops) using a cable type solenoid, and attaching that cable end to the lever/paddle that the door opener button would normally activate.You are using a pulley to get that pull coming from the proper direction? That sounds really feasible, as it sure doesn't take much pressure with the normal door handle button to overcome the inside door hanle.
That's pretty much what I did with my trunk solenoid.........cable solenoid with a pulley. I used a screen door roller for the pulley, btw, has that nice 1/8" or so groove.

ragtop

yes  that is how all of the ones I have done have worked I have done 6 1957s- 2 1952s- 1 1955 -1 1956 most of the solenoid kits use cables

RICH MUISE

OK, thanks. Now I'm curious.......what do you do about the passenger door? Do you use remotes? 2 different fobs, or do they have them like garage door openers with 2 buttons? , or just an inside button?
Do you eliminate/modify the inside hood release so you can get to the battery in case of battery failure?

djfordmanjack

Rich, that is exactly how I did it. When I sold my 57SD to my friend he wanted me to remove handles and put in solenoids. the fob had even 3 buttons, since we were also power operating the rear door lock. I also put extra push buttons under dash for the pssgr dr and rear door ( to have that kind of Batmobile feeling with all those custom buttons). I did wire those with a cut out relais. that means, as soon as trans was out of P or N they would be out of working order. so they could only be operated when car was not in gear. imagine incidentally pushing the wrong button in a night drive and the pssgr door flying wide open....not on this car!

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-02-25 21:19
OK, thanks. Now I'm curious.......what do you do about the passenger door? Do you use remotes? 2 different fobs, or do they have them like garage door openers with 2 buttons? , or just an inside button?