News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

REALLY REALLY bad day today.

Started by RICH MUISE, 2019-03-05 17:40

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

As far as I know for sure, yes, Lincoln Mark VIII only. Mercury Marauder is the same, but very rare. I honestly don't know about the crown vics, police cars for example. I've got conflicting info as to what was available in the CVs....some say SOHC, others say DOHC. Not 100% sure the guys that gave that info to me know the difference with the confusing Ford sohc vs dohc designations. Can't believe I'd ever find/want a lo miles CV police unit.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfW-NetgZCo

Wordy but it will tell you "who, what, and where" you can find a 4.6 DOHC.  They are all identical with respect to the long block.  Any one of these will "bolt" in Rich, all you have to do is swap all the sensors, drives, and "stuff" from your long block to the new one.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Great info, Bill. thanks for the link. One of the four they talk about, I've been told will not work though, and that's the front wheel drive Continental. Not sure about the Aviator's drive. Looking at rebuilt motors for the Mark Viii, nobody has listed it also fitting a Continental.

junior58

Broken secondary chain between the inlet and exhaust cams, probably a result of cam seizing in the head. The problem with rebuilding from this point would be getting all the aluminium swarf out of all the oil galleries so that you didn?t have a repeat issue. Definitely think a replacement engine is the way to go. Good luck with your search.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

RICH MUISE

Yes, Steve. The cam was definitely galled to the caps.......I broke one cap trying to separate the two. Discoloration from excessive heat as well.

Got a couple questions............near the back end of both sides of the intake manifold, there are vacuum valves(?) attached to an adjustable bracket of sorts that has the adjustment screws loctited into place.Something set at the factory obviously. Anybody have an idea of their function? I can post a pic if needed.
I'm thinking maybe an adjustment for when the second set of 8 intake runners kicks in?
What's the best guess on whether or not mine would be rebuildable (if I go that route)? I ask because there is a 550. core charge only refundable once they receive the engine and determine if it is rebuildable.

:dontknow: Wifey is wanting me to go the rebuilt route so I don't have a parts car hanging around for weeks.

racton

:unitedstates:Are the motors that rare where you live Rich?I sold a nice 5.0 from a 91 Mustang for $500.......I would not rebuild ....my 2 cents....racton

RICH MUISE

Hey Richard, Not rare at all..........unless you're looking for a low mileage one. The vintage I'm looking for is 1995ish, so 24years old,hard to find with the 60-80k miles I'm hoping for, added to the fact I'm trying to find that in a running collision damaged car. I've had a 162k mile engine sitting in the back yard of our old house for 6 years. Lots of them in salvage yards.

djfordmanjack

Rich, another stupid comment from me. But what if you just pulled the one head from your backup engine and put it on your block in car. it could make for a quick repair until you find a good low milage replacement to put in as a winter project next season. You can't damage much more on your engine in car as it already has been bruised and needs an overhaul anyways.

RICH MUISE

That's a possibility I guess. What I'm thinking though, is I had a bad loss of compression in the right bank also, and I can't see any way the timing on one side would affect the other, so both heads. I guess it's possible the left bank was binding so bad, it caused the right bank to jump the crankshaft sprocket. Maybe I'll pull the left head for a look at the pistons/cylinders.
On the temporary fix, the more I think about it, I probably won't. I want to get this done right and have something dependable. I have to look back and think I'm really glad I drove the heck out of it for the past 3 years. It would have been just as easy to mess up an oil change on a car that was only driven a few hundred miles a year. Kinda goes back to the "what am I saving the car for?" discussion we had recently with Doug/57 Imposter..... which is really ironic in itself, since Doug and I were hoping to meet in Colorado this year, and the last time we were making plans to meet for a cruise, he was on his way here when I had to cancel because I wrecked the car. Maybe I need to stop planning things with Doug, lol. Anyway, with all the miles I've been putting on it, it makes it a bit easier to live with the downtime.
I do have everything undone that I could reach from the topside......... radiator, fuel, wiring, I did unhook the A/C I talked about trying to leave. I had forgotten the two lines at the compressor were just springlock fittings, not the Aerquip I'm wanting to leave intact. IOne of the two fuel line springlock fittings is not wanting to come loose, so I just pulled the whole fuel log for now.
We pushed out the car yesterday so I could clean up the garage floor from the oil loss/bags of speedi-dry. Now it's clean so I can get it up on jackstands and start the underside stuff.

djfordmanjack

looks like a good inventory of salvage cars in Dallas !

Fully understand that you really want to do a proper job and have it roadworthy and dependable again. so you can hop in it and go for your 600 mile drives. I have such a car in my 34 sdn with a 302 and C4 in it.
on the other hand  my 57 is not yet as roadworthy and dependable, and I have rarely used it last year, also for that reason. So I totally get your point of not doing half thing repairs. It would be an option though if things should not work out with a good replacement engine soon, long delivery time with engine shops or financial issues.
I see that a lot of our boys come up with great infos on auction and wrecking yards, so pretty sure you'll have a good used engine by the end of the month.

RICH MUISE

Got lots to think about today. One of the forum members that I had physically met a few years ago called me today. He had been planning to put a 4.6dohc from a Mark VIII in his '57. Since I started this thread, he's thought about it alot and he's decided that project probably wasn't going to happen. What he has is from a '93 Mark VIII with 55k miles that had been sideswipped. He has the engine, tranny, driveshaft, computer, wiring harness, shifter, and more. He was at a trusted salvage yard he frequently did business with when he saw them dismantling it, so he did not get to hear it run, but he talked to the guys and bought it. That was about 12 years ago.
Fast forward a little bit, he had the oportunity to buy the drivetrain from a friend's good running '94 Mark VIII, mileage unknown for some reason,so he aquired it as well for another project. Same list of components that I listed above.
He wanted to let me know it was available, but also said if he were in my shoes, he'd be doing what I'm doing looking for a running donor car or a remanufactured engine. He wants to sell everything as a lot, both drivetrains. Said if he didn't sell the stuff to me, he'd probably keep it, so no hurry on the decision. He can even deliver it all to Amarillo for me since I don't have a pickup truck. That's about 900 miles roundtrip. His price for everything, including delivery will put it pretty close to what I was figuring the "running,driving"auction car with 85k in OKC will end up costing me after fees, transportation, etc.
I was avoiding a pulled engine that I couldn't hear run, but the "paper trail", sorta speak, is looking good on what he has.
Lots to think about. More risks than a remanufactured (at twice the $), or a running donor car, but less miles than I'll probably be able to find elsewhere.

RICH MUISE

Well, my bad hearing strikes again,and I stand corrected. About the second '94 motor,I thought he said  he did not hear running, what he actually said was it was not running when pulled from the car. Basically it needs to be considered a spare parts engine. As mentioned in the previous post, I knew he did not hear the 93 engine running either, that one I got right.
I feel sorry for people, like my wife, who have to deal with 1/2 deaf people all the time.

John Palmer

Rich, I tell my wife of 52 years that I'm not going deaf, I just have "selective" hearing!

Frankenstein57

Rich, I looked at a 97 Mark in February when I was in Florida for the Daytona 500. I've always wanted one, anyways, it was  $2500, lower mileage but has to much beach salt damage. Not worth the trouble to bring back to Wisconsin. I have his # if you are interested.  Mark