News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

REALLY REALLY bad day today.

Started by RICH MUISE, 2019-03-05 17:40

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Bummer..though I had it nailed down to AER. Called for pricing only to find they had stopped rebuilding those in 2015. They told me availability of cores dried up.
Supercoupe performance has not returned my call, but maybe a good thing now, AER told me they were not on their list of distributors, at least under that name.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Supercoup performance told me the mark viii engines were no longer avaiable. Never did tell me if they were AER, just said his supplier said Mark VIII engines are getting really hard to find. Jegs looks like the source now, and he did confirm they are available with a 5 week delivery date.

CobraJoe

Not for nothing Rich, but don't you have any machine shops near you? Other than buying Ford crate motors, I have had all my engine work done by local guys that have been doing work for me since the late 70's.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

lalessi1

Rock Auto lists a long block as well. It says "unavailable, asked to be notified when available.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

We had a local engine builder here for years, Dreamchasers,  but I believe they disappeared 5 or 6 years ago. Don't really want to have it done locally. Reading about the first few paragraphs of the attached link on rebuilding the dohc, confirms I neither want to attempt it myself as a first, nor have it done by someone who "did one once".
https://www.diyford.com/how-to-assembly-ford-4-6l-5-4l-engines-step-by-step/
Getting a bit more organized in web searches for insurance auctions. Actually found 2 Marks with less than 70k, one in Florida with 55K that looks more like 555k in swamp runs. Another with 64k coming up today in Tennessee, don't have time to get set up for it. So..they're still out there.

djfordmanjack

Rich, I know this might be somewhat offensive, but at this point it needs asked I think. ( since the availability and price of the 4.6 seems to be such a problem). What if...289, 351, 302 ? 5.0Litre FI....possibly a mechanical  AOD?
Today there are even very affordable aftermarket fuelinjection systems, fully computer controlled to be put successfully on former naturally aspired older engines. I do believe that such FI systems start at $800 or below and are available for most any older carb set up. I am just thinking out loud and you can smite me several times if you don't want me to say things like that.... :002:

RICH MUISE

no no no, lol. Although not traditional, I had what I considered as close to the perfect setup as I'll ever have, and will go back to it. Now, if I had been so-so with the drivetrain for 26,000 miles I'd be considering it. The Marks are out there, I just need to find the right one, then it'll be just a bolt-in. Or, if I get too antsy, the rebuild from Jegs is doable $ wise. Then it'll be just a bolt-in. I started disassembling today.
Nice thing if I can find a donor car is all the spare parts.......tranny, driveshaft, fans/shroud,alt., starter, etc etc

CobraJoe

Rich, there are a ton of mods and rebuilds being done to these 4.6 DOHC motors. I would try some of the Mustang forums and see what you can come up with.

Now, if it was me.....I'd be leaning more towards the 5.0 Coyote motor, available in several different configurations, anywhere from 412- 580 hp in the Mustang and 360-395 hp from the F150, all running on 87 octane pump gas. These MOD motors have really come a long way since they were first introduced in the 1990 Lincolns and the later versions may be a better choice. I have a coyote in my truck and love it, and I'm a pushrod V-8 guy.  :003:

:roadrunner:

:003: 435HP   :003:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

Rich, I see that you are committed to get your pretty car back on the road asap and in same configuration as before, because you like all the benifits of a modern engine. I keep my fingers crossed that you can have your original engine repaired or find a good used and reasonably priced replacement!
Like Joe said, those cars and engines shouldn't be that rare, at least not around where you live.

Thor

Rich,
Saw this 95 on Craigslist for $1195. Doesn't list mileage though. Might be worth calling on. 

https://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/d/pomona-1995-lincoln-mark-viii/6837523265.html

RICH MUISE

Yep, MAYBE exactly what I was hoping to find. It's a little late in the evening, but I called him anyway and left a message.

Thanks a ton! I've almost got enough sheetmetal to fix that car, lol

RICH MUISE

He called back. I suspected since he didn't state the mileage on the Craigslist ad,  that it was high, and it was, at least higher than I want. 162K

hiball3985

Some of the best low mileage used cars I have found are in mobile home parks where there are seniors. These usually never get listed on line, the down side is it's time consuming.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Rich
    I rent part of my building to a guy that does auto repair.  I was telling him about your situation and he has a customer with a 97 Town car with frame rot.  It still drives well.   The mileage is about 155K  price is about $700 he thinks.  Do you want me to get more information ?
    My property is commercial so you  could keep it here as long as you need to.  No charge.
     If you still have my number, you can call me.
Jay

RICH MUISE

I appreciate the offer, Jay, but the Towncars are a single overhead cam motor. Tons of them around and cheap.
There's a Mark VIII coming up for auction in Oklahoma City with 85K miles.....a bit more miles than what I was hoping to find, but car looks like it was very well taken care of. Heavy front side damage too extensive to repair, but says it still runs and drives, so hopefully no engine compartment damage. Being a non repairable car, I expect it will go cheap.....500ish. Transporting shouldn't be too bad, OKC to Amarillo is about 280 miles.
It costs 200 annually to join the auction company's list of buyers(non-refundable), but Oklahoma is one of about 25 states that allows the public to buy. (Texas is not). One cannot bid on cars there until they are members.
Getting lots undone on the '57, getting close to all the up-top stuff being undone. Had to move the hydroboost over for the engine to clear. Couldn't do it with the brake lines still hooked up. I undid the 2 lines to the proportioning valve and left that in place, and removed the master from the hydroboost which  I was then able to move over to the side with all of its fluid lines still intact. I'm thinking about maybe dropping the A/C compressor off the engine with those lines still intact........if I can get it out of the way.
All this stuff is alot tougher to get at than when I installed the motor/tranny with the front sheetmetal off..............and I was a lot younger.