Pole building collapsed from 3 feet of snow on roof. 15 project cars in the bui

Started by brushwolf, 2019-03-09 04:45

Previous topic - Next topic

brushwolf

Been shoveling snow off roof sections and jacking them up to free cars. Some destroyed, some barely scratched, sold several already as no insurance on cars though some on building.
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

brushwolf

Still have a 65 LeMans convertible, 56 and 57 Ford hardtop, 56 Dodge 2 door sedan, Cub Loboy tractor, 40 Chev 2 door sedan and 54 and 58 4 door parts cars all still buried in there.
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

brushwolf

Have so far extracted 58 retractable, 40 Chev PU, 77 Fiat Spider, 65 Comet convertible, 64 Galaxie XL convertible, 68 Torino convertible... Took 4 days and those were mostly the easier ones to dig and cut out.. tractor will have to wait till last and another 6-10 inches of snow predicted for this weekend..
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

CobraJoe

Man that really sucks. At least it looks like that some survived and a few more are salvageable.
I feel your pain, went through the same thing last year; I had my pristine 74 Bronco with 50K miles stored in a garage since 1990 and the roof leaked and the lime from the sheet rock did a job on the truck. Last year the roof caved in on it. Same deal, no insurance.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

And I've been grieving over losing an engine........piddly compared to your loss. Nice cars in there.  In this part of the country, that 60 Chev would bring big bucks from the lowrider guys.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

It looks like you lost some nice cars in there.  It is like a lifetime of collecting and now most of them are gone.
   I'm very sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident.  Jay

brushwolf

40 chev pu with spare parts truck sold today for $1500 (had since 1976 when I bought out of a barn for $40 with title) and 65 Mercury Comet titled convertible sold today for $1200 that I paid $500 for 3 years ago, so that will help pay for the 55 Crown Victoria I just now bought to drive while working on my other projects. 65 LeMans convertible sold for $1500 contingent on us getting it out of building without any more damage. Even gave us a $500 deposit, so seems pretty serious.

60 Chev, 57 Ford convertible, 68 Torino convertible I am keeping. Negotiating on selling arunning 55 Dodge former AZ car along with a rebuilder 315 hemi in the event he wants a little more power and visual appeal. It was not damaged because under a canopy in front of barn.

Not sure what I will do with retractables cuz I have several in various degrees of disrepair. Got the 54 Glasstop out and it was saved from damage by engine tripod held roof of building just like it mostly did for the 65 Pontiac. 54 parts car is stuck in back still behind 40 Chev sedan that has a lot of roof still sitting on it.

Really, really hated to see the 56 Victoria got hit so bad. Runner with 3 deuces and fair body. Trim is all inside car. Almost tempted to replace roof on that one and same awful roof damage to 57 hardtop that was a MO car I hauled back a few years ago... Had almost enough leftover 57 parts from my convertible to put the hardtop together too. 

Have had inquiries on 61 and 64 Galaxie convertibles also and have advertised nothing. Just neighbors that knew what cars where there. Even payloader operator we hired to clear 4 feet of snow between buildings is asking about another Pontiac sitting outside.

It was my lifetime hobby buying project cars, knew I would never finish them all once I got past bout a dozen, so expected to be selling about now anyway, but probably for a few bucks more and a few are really a mess so hard to know what to do with those.
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

brushwolf

Can't sell the 60 Chev cuz I have all new full floor, trunk pans (had water sitting in it but was a Texas car I hauled back from Arkansas) and I rebuilt a T56 with relocated shifter to clear bench seat and a motor that seemed appropriate to the car already..
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

CobraJoe

Quote from: brushwolf on 2019-03-09 19:43
Can't sell the 60 Chev cuz I have all new full floor, trunk pans (had water sitting in it but was a Texas car I hauled back from Arkansas) and I rebuilt a T56 with relocated shifter to clear bench seat and a motor that seemed appropriate to the car already..

As long as that pretty 409 doesn't go into a Blue Oval.... :003:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

brushwolf

Naw, I have two  312`s, a 351C,  351W, two 390's, a 400, a 460  and a couple Mustang 5.0 roller cam motors sitting here on stands too.  Just like the look of the old W motors though I have rebuilt 327 and 454 not doing anything either and would have been cheaper.. I had a red 60 Impala years ago that was a nice ND body that had a blown up 348 in it so hope I am not tempting fate with another one..
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

Lou

I can't believe your town/state allow you to build a roof on any building with so much distance between roof braces.   

brushwolf

Old building that was put up probably in the mid 1970's in a western MN rural county with very modest zoning rules.  A neighbor out there had a roof cave in on his building yesterday too after another 6 inches of wet snow fell over the weekend. Start getting past 3-4 feet of wet snow on any huge area roof can get sticky though. Building was 94 feet long and 38 feet wide.

Never seen this much accumulated snow at either of my MN places though and lived here my whole life. My garage here in eastern MN I had the builder put trusses closer together than the tighter zoning laws here say they need to be, just so I wouldn't ever have to worry about roof snow load.

But I hear the world is ending in less than 12 years due to global warming now anyway, so wonder if I should have even bothered doing that.... :)
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

djfordmanjack

It's really horrible to see a lifetime collection of vintage cars burried in such a mess. must be dangerous removing stuff also. stay safe !

brushwolf

Most years you don't get snow just falling with virtuallly no wind present either, which tends to blow at least some of it off the roofs as it falls.  This year one snowfall after another with virtually no wind, so it just stacked up wherever it fell. Saw people up on roofs of churches and other large buildings shoveling the roofs off on my last trip out there.
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird