News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

height difference: Fairlane vs Custom windshield

Started by djfordmanjack, 2019-03-21 13:57

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

I would be interested if somebody has measured the height difference of the Fairlane and Custom windshield. is the angle of the A post different on Fairlane  and Custom models ?

RICH MUISE

The Fairlane is 16" at the center, the Custom is 17". I think the angles are pretty close. I was originally shipped the wrong windshield for my custom and tried to install it before I realized it was wrong. Can't remember noticing any major difference at the posts, but I was concentrating on trying to figure our why I had a big gap up top.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Great info, thanx Rich. I was thinking it was around 2" but good to hear this firsthand info !

Was guessing that a post angles could be the same, only they added a different roofline. I like the Fairlane roof a lot !

RICH MUISE

I think the angle is different on some models. I remember years ago somebody posting a pic of a Custon parked in line with some Fairlane model, the purpose of the pic was to show the visable difference, but as I said, I can't remember seeing anything at the posts that would have been throwing red flags at me while I was trying to figure out why the windshield they sent wasn't filling the hole, lol.

Ray

There are two windshields shown in the '49/'59 parts book showing four part numbers (clear and tinted) The shorter is listed for models 51A, 57, 58, 63, 64, and 76. The taller shows models 59, 66, 70, 73, 78, 79. Interesting to me because I drove an "E" model re-tractable out here for years and I don't remember having the trouble I am now having ducking under the top to get into the car LOL.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

djfordmanjack

where did you buy the replacement windshield (green tint) ?

RICH MUISE

I got mine from Auto City Classics. ..........and, yes, it is a green tint. The tint is not even noticeable next to the smoke gray tint of the other windows on my car.
I already mentioned that I had received the wrong windshield from another distributor in Florida. That windshield sat in my garage for about 5 years before I discovered it was the wrong one, so no returning for the correct one. I ordered the replacement from auto city classic up in one of the northern states (Minn.?), and they delivered it to the Pate swap meet in Fort Worth the following month at my request (free shipping!). Only problem was I ordered a clear and they sent green tint. Almost left it there thinking there's no way a green tint is going to look good next to smoke gray. After comparing green next to gray at their display, decided to take a chance, and I'm glad I did because it actually worked out well. lol, I did bring a tape measure with me.

The other thing about my windshield, and I'm wondering if others who drive their cars alot have the same issue. rock chips.......I must have 20 or 30 of them. By contrast, my '05 Subaru that had no rock chips when I got it, still has NO rockchips 50k miles later? I don't know anything about the heat treating they do for different types of glass, but I'm thinking my windshield is just too darn hard, not tempered back as they would do with some metal heat treating.
Sorry, Gunther (or is it Gunter as I've seen others spell it), getting a bit sidetracked here.

djfordmanjack

no sidetracking at all Rich. Very much interested in your opinion and experience. I have found that there are so many different tint shades, it is hard to find matching glass at all.
Do you still have the Fairlane windshield ?

On another note, concerning stone chips and such. the og windshield on my Country sedan has a very peculiar wear pattern. not so much scratched, but a whole lot of little dimples or craters (outside). I believe that car was stored outside for at least 5 yrs or so at some point after being garaged its whole previous life. I don't know if such a wear pattern could be caused by sand storm or other debris flying around (acorn nuts or such ?). I know that it has been parked under pine tree(s) for some time as I keep finding them in every little crease on the car....hahaha..... It appears to have the og factory glas, with very little delamination.
The CS windshield has nothing to do with my inquiry about the height difference.

Rich, my first name in German is spelled G?nter with 2 little dots above the 'u'. you would spell that correctly Guenter in English, but Gunter is very much ok as well. You don't have that linguistic mutation in English at all. The letters are not even to be found on your keybards  :003:

there are 2 different spellings with or without the h, like you would abbreviate Thomas to Tom ot Thom. mine is without h.
btw, since we are getting really sidetracked by now  :003:

The origin of this German name is Gunt - Herr. which is kind of a knights name and means Sire von Gunt. It has an old meaning. but not for me.....hahaha.... :002:

RICH MUISE

Interesting info on your name spelling........I probably won't remember though, lol.
No. I sold the windshield to Acrylic Man down in Houston. We met up at that Pate swap meet before we went inside. I think that was the same swap meet that KYBlueOval (John) and I got to meet briefly.

Ford Blue blood

To the angle question, it is the same for both.  I was going to initially try to produce a 500 Ranchero with the 500 windshield trim, HT doors and 500 fins.  In that vain I purchased 500 windshield trim.  The side pieces laid down perfect except the notch for the rain gutter, it was too low.  With just a little "persuasion" they and the piece that goes across the top would have fit. 

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

djfordmanjack

That is great additional info, Bill. Thanks alot !

oldave57

Rich,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am planning to replace the windshield this summer in my 57 Skyliner and was planning to order from Auto City Classics.  I am trying to decide between the clear and green tinted options and when I read that you had originally ordered clear but received green tinted, I wondered if you could recommend one vs the other.  The windshield in the car (I believe) is original and appears to be clear.

Thanks,
Dave

RICH MUISE

I'll definetly go with the green again if/when it gets replaced. You won't even notice it from inside the car. As I said above, it goes well with side glass of any or no tint.

hiball3985

Rich, that is interesting and also strange about the chipping. I've only got about 10,000 miles on mine on about every type of road you can think of and haven't had any chips other then the two or three it had when I got it, OEM windshield. I have thought about changing it in the future but now I'm having second thoughts. I seem to remember reading that the replacements are made somewhere in South America?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Tinted and Shaded are two different things.  Shaded is the dark ban across the top of the windshield.  I'm too tall so I won't tolerate looking through the dark ban especially for night driving.  Both my '57 windshields are green tinted.  The tint is so mild you won't even notice.  I have a red and a ash smoke gray interiors and are not noticeable.