News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

steering wheel adapter and old subject

Started by alltin33, 2019-03-29 18:35

Previous topic - Next topic

alltin33

What steering wheel adapter can I use to replace stock steering wheel .I know that grant use to make for one 1957s  all by its self no longer available any Ideas. I know that this is and old subject and really like to keep the original column. The car has converted to power steering kit from  ABS  and uses the stock column with shift arm. It also has retro t-bird steering wheel.  Any input is apricated  or someone has and old grant adapter to sell. 

OUTLAW

What Grant Adapter number are you looking for?

alltin33

I have no idea tried  4266 mooneyes told me that 57 is all by itself  all I know grant used to make it  hoping to find one with 4 1/8 cup and 40 spline  count and .69 diameter size same as the top of the steering column. I have an after market steering I want to use needs the hole adapter like Grant.

KYBlueOval

djfordmanjack

lalessi1

I have an adapter that I bought new a couple of years ago. It was a Grant 3249. The turn signal cancel pin didn't work, don't remember if the horn button would work with the hollow steering column but it didn't with a '58 box/shaft.

Lynn
Lynn

alltin33

The horn setup does not matter or turn signal cancelling I can get around it just need change steering wheels for now.  the problem I'm   having is shaft and spline  size  and 56 does not fit.   MAYBE 58?

SkylinerRon

I have one of those on a 57. Put it on in the 60's. I think that I remember 57thru 64 exc Mustang being the same.
The kit gives you the adapter, chrome collar, horn button and wiring.
You could call Grant directly for the info.

Good luck,

Ron

OUTLAW

4268 is the 58-63 part number but 4266 should work. Speedway Motors, Jegs has both. If it don't fit send it back...??..Rick   

lalessi1

This is what I have. It WILL bolt on the '57 steering shaft/column. I want to hang on to mine for now.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=Grant%203249

Lynn

lalessi1

I looked at the installation instructions for a 4268 on Summits web page and it looks like it will fit a 57, note the horn wire coming through the center of the shaft.

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/grt-4268.pdf
Lynn

alltin33

I'd like thank everyone for there input so I ended up with 3249 its ok but still need to try 4266 sorry to say that Grant is not supplying  there dealers .I even called Grant  but they are not taking any calls and one of the phone is not in service.   3249 works with the spline and bolt on the problem is with the bell part it is 1/2 inch short from column so I modified it and add 1/2 inch looks ok ? Working to making the cancel work. As you can see someone beat the top of the steering column and plan on replacing it with and original column that I just bought.

alltin33

Here is the change I added

lalessi1

You can loosen up the bolts under the dash and move the steering column up to close the gap, it will slide up and down shifter and all... I am looking to see if the turn signal cancelling cam will fit on the back of the adapter. It will pop off of the original steering wheel, it is a spring loaded fit. Don't know if the column will move as much as you need but it will help.
Lynn

alltin33

Picked up original steering column Parts I need are all there cast piece on top of column, cancelling pawl, shift knob. Someone beat it  with what ever it more egg shape than round easy replace and the shift knob I removed and saved was easy . Trying  to get original parts that are savable are hard to find 

Thanks  57 Ford International