News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

door glass

Started by rixxwagon, 2019-06-15 18:27

Previous topic - Next topic

rixxwagon

I own a 4 door wagon drivers window has been cracked since I got it, last year I found a
two front doors from a 4 door sedan with really nice glass. today I figured that I would change
out the glass . I well to my surprise I find out they are different. so what glass will fit my wagon,

rick :canada: :006:

RICH MUISE

Hasn't been too much discussion on this in regards to a wagon as I recall, but an educated guess would be if anything other than wagon glass fits the front doors, it would be the 4 door sedan, BUT, that 4 door sedan would have to be one of the Custom models, not a 4 dr Fairlane. With that said, I really don't know. Do you know what model the doors were off of?, and what is your model?
All the door glass is flat, so worst case is having your glass shop make them. Biggest problem there is it has to be a shop that has access to a tempering facility.
Check with www.autocityclassic.com as well to see if they have the glass listed for wagons. Another source is Bob's classic auto glass in Oregon....also listed in our list of vendors

Auto city classic lists the front door glass for 4 door wagons for $45, and it says also fits 4 door sedans, but they don't say what sedan, so I would think it comes back to what I initially said....Fairlane vs Custom models/they're not the same. All wagons were built on the short wheelbase Custom platform. If the door glass from the sedan doors you have does not fit, I would think those doors are off a Fairlane model.
I'm aware you're in Canada, and you may not have Fairlane or Custom badged stuff, one of the many Canadians on here may have to help with that US-> Canada conversion if needed.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

59meteor

Rick, what is actually different? Is it the size of the glass itself, or the metal bracket on the bottom? As mentioned, I am pretty sure that the doors and glass between a 4 door Custom/Custom 300 and 4 door wagon should all be the same.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

rixxwagon

these doors that I have must be from a fairlane. The upper window frame is removable
where mine is not. The glass it's self is about a 1 1/2 longer and a hair taller with a slight different shape
The things you find playing with old cars

rick  :002:

rixxwagon

Just for the hell of it I measured the doors surprise surprise the extra doors I have here
are longer than the ones on the car. myth busted not all 4 doors are the same.

thanks Rich on the glass suppliers I will be looking into that

59meteor

So are the removable door frames thinner than your wagons doors? Sounds like you may have doors from a Fairlane or Fairlane 500 "imitation hardtop" model, which uses the longer wheelbase.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

rixxwagon

they look the same except for the length these ones also have chrome trim
around the window frame. So now I one 4 door is not the same as another 4 door

rmk57

Sounds like your door glass may be from a Town sedan.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

rixxwagon

could be one good thing is I got my door lock working again
if any body needs a pair of doors passenger side is still together
drivers side is apart only missing the lock parts. they are in really
nice shape. still have the chrome strips and gold fillers attached

rick

djfordmanjack

the original door glass was laminated safety glass, so no need to getting tempered. I am sure a local glass store can cut to your og patterns. the only problem remains the correct tint, if your car has any.

rixxwagon

that gives me something else to look into I'm going to have to rebuild the bottom window track
pretty rust and eaten away