News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

engine offset from center

Started by rmk57, 2019-08-13 13:22

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Has anyone out there ever measured how much off center the engine is in the chassis? I did a quick measurement and I'm about 15/16" to 1" off the the right. I took the measurement from the carburetor stud to the leading edge of the fender. There may be slight variations depending on how your fenders are aligned and such. I guess to allow for room for the pedals, steering box, clutch linkage and whatever else is squeezed in there.  I talked to buddy of mine with a 69 GTX and he told me most Mopars are around 2" off center.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

If I remember correctly, mine is pretty close to 3/8 offset to right. Can't remember if that was how much off center or total difference in readings.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

I took another measurement off my 1970 Mustang and get about 3/8" off center. If I had 3"8 in my 57 the headers wouldn't even be remotely close in fitting. I have around 7/16"" clearance to the steering box. and that's with grinding some off the cover.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hiball3985

Thats interesting and something I didn't check on the 57. I know my 66 F250 is offset about 2" and I only realized it when checking for new springs, the passenger side is rated higher..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang