News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FE in my 57 Custom ... Header Options?

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2008-08-18 09:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

I am thinking about swapping a FE 390 into my 1957 Custom.  I want to use my T85 3 speed O/D transmission and the stock column shift linkage.   I suspect the 390 flat exhaust manifolds will clear fine.  Does anyone know any other options that will work?   Shorty 406 Manifolds?  Headers? Thanks!

F570RD

I tried the 406 stuff years back.The passenger side is workable but the other side did not.Maybe with a 58 box? :deadhorse:......some what :003:I do have a set of headers for an FE.You would have to do some inner fender triming.1 3/4 tubes and equal length at 35"

4banger

The 58/59 box will not give you the clearance. Some of the guys may tell you different, but there information is from hear say. I put a set of 406 shortys on with a 59 box and had to fabricate # 7 & # 8 runners. After welding the cast iron, everything turned out great. I picked up 2 miles per/gal over the flat manifolds. Good Luck

57custom

Flat manifolds are HORRIBLE for any kind of performance. Check with Crite industries in Ohio they have headers.

4banger

Ford Power Train sells headers for the 57 custom. App.$ 400 plus for plain, ceramic,app.$ 700 plus with a ball and bell exit. Will fit any combo. They look real nice. Remember, you get what you pay for,_______Mostly

wildhog

I AM RUNNING THE FORD POWER TRAIN HEADERS IN MY F.E. POWERED 57 SUNLINER, THEY FIT GREAT, THE CRITIES HEADERS HANG TO LOW UNDER THE CAR , FOR WHAT I AM DOING. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

F570RD

On a note for 385 motors and the Ford Power Train Headers.With 3 washers between the block and the Crites mounts,to raise the motor for the B.T heads on the race motor,I had to really work over the drivers side mount and factory pad to get number 5 tube to fit.This is with a stock 460 in it now.These people that make this stuff give us 90% of what we need.Not bitch'n here one bit.As hot rodders we just do the rest.Should be fun after 20 years of see'n nothen but guard walls and rails to have it back on the street.

canadian_ranchero

i looked at a 57 ranchero with a 68 390 and he used 67-68 mustang gt exhaust manifolds

mickey

hi all. I used a set of crites headers in my courier with a 427 they worked good but i also tried a set of stans headers those are nice becuse they are shorter. but i am building my car for street or strip and the crites headers will flow better.